Introduction: Replacement Pivoting Mitre Saw Base
In this Instructables I will show videos building a replacement mitre saw base. In the first video I make design and cut the base which includes positive stops. The second video I install a fence and the angle locking mechanism, and in the final video I make a zero clearance insert, scribe the angle increments, and make a dust deflection baffle.
Step 1: Design, CNC'd Parts and Positive Stops
In this part I make a pivoting base or stand to mount the head of a cheap Mitre Saw, with the usual positive stops.
- 00:02 Introducing the build.
- 01:14 Cutting a miniature maquette / prototype.
- 02:03 Testing fit of pieces.
- 02:35 Making the positive stop.
- 04:42 The pieces in birch ply.
- 05:22 Adding ball catch.
- 06:27 Installing saw motor.
- 07:29 Re-installing saw motor.
- 08:09 Fence positioning
- 08:50 A natural end.
Step 2: Fence and Angle Locking Mechanism
- 00:19 Planing the location of the fence.
- 00:32 Screwing the base to the turning collar.
- 01:10 Cutting fence pieces.
- 01:30 Double checking line.
- 01:57 Gluing fence pieces together.
- 02:33 Drilling and screwing fence to base.
- 04:48 Fitting rubber feat to base.
- 04:55 Making locking handle.
- 07:22 It worked.
Step 3: Zero Clearance Insert, Dust Flange and Increments
I don't talk much in this one, so these time codes might be more important.
- 00:05 It's a bit stiff, I should sort that out later.
- 00:26 Checking how accurate my angles are. Seems good enough.
- 01:11 I use this flush trim bit to router a channel around the edge of the base, so dust can fall.
- 02:08 CNC'ing the female part of the zero clearance insert.
- 03:11 CNC'ing the male part of the insert plate.
- 04:42 This insert is a little shallow, but that is not a problem.
- 06:26 Extraction and making the dust baffle.
- 07:40 I missed a stage - mere mortal.
- 08:40 Cutting the rubber flange.
- 09:27 TEST CUT
- 09:44 Increments
- 10:18 Using a razor to smooth the paint job - which I done off screen.
11:33 Final Thoughts.
Be the First to Share
1 95 6.5K