Introduction: Repurposed Bench Project

Buying an inexpensive (fulgy) bench and making it into something that can be used, modernized and purposeful.

Step 1: Adding a New Front for the Bench and Drilling Holes to Attach Seat.

Using some 1 X 8" pine and cutting it down into 1 1/2" strips I made a face frame. The frame was glued and screwed to the existing bench. Using a router and a round over bit, trim for the face frame was made an attached with screws. A divider which measured 14.5" X 13.5 " deep was installed to make two compartments.This divider was made up of two pieces of 1 X 8" screwed together; using the Kreg jig, then cut down to size.

Additional 1 1/2" strips were end cut on 45 degree angles routed and attached with glue to the front. Trim was added to the top border to add some style. On the perimeter of the bench a kreg jig was used to to drill angled holes for pocket screws to attach the seat.

Step 2: Sanding, Cleaning , Priming

Sanding, sanding and more sanding. Doing this step well makes the project. I used an orbital palm sander, a sanding block and some good old sand paper. Removing any imperfections (high spots, dings , dents, etc) and smoothing out all the surfaces on the project.

Shop clothes were dampened and used to remove any excessive glue spots. This made sanding much easier. A shop vac was used to clean up any saw dust and larger particles. Then the entire surface was wiped down multiple times with a damp cloth to remove any remaining dust.

Since the bench was a darker colour and I wanted to go with a white melamine paint I had to prime the surface to get the nice even white colour. Acrylic latex primer sealer was used to prep the surface for paint. White latex caulking was also used to hide any small cracks or opening between the wood surfaces.

Step 3: Painting and Installing Bench Seat and Pillow.

A small 2" sponge roller was used to apply the primer and the paint. I find the roller does a much better job then a brush because it does not leave any lines or brush marks. The brush it still needed in the tight areas where the sponge roller won't reach. I used two coats of paint to ensure proper coverage.

When the bench seat was installed it was centered and even on both sides flush with the back. Since holes were pre-drilled for the pocket screws to attach seat all that had to be done was add some glue to the bench and then screw it down.

The screw holes were then covered with wooden plugs and glued into place. After the glue was set the plugs are flush cut and painted over for a nice finish.

The final step was to attach the pillow to the seat. Velcro was used to attach the pillow to the bench so it would be easy to change out the material, if we wanted to do so.

Furniture Hacks Contest

Participated in the
Furniture Hacks Contest