Introduction: Rice Vadagam : Sun Dried Raw Crispies Made From Left Over Cooked Rice
Vadagam, popularly known in South India, is a sun dried raw crispy. There are different varieties of Vadagam made with different ingredients. These crispies can be stored in air-tight containers for a very long time. They are then deep fried in oil whenever required and served as side with Rice.
Rice Vadagam is one such crispy made with left-over cooked rice. Food is precious, so we do not throw away left-over rice. We make these crispies and store them for latter use.
This instructable will guide you on how to make these crispies from left-over rice.
Step 1: Soak Left-over Rice in Water
- What you see in the first picture here is some left-over cooked rice after dinner which is kept in a bowl.
- Add enough water to the bowl to cover the entire rice and leave it overnight.
- Next day, drain out the water from the rice and keep it aside. the rice is little fermented and becomes soft
Step 2: Prepare the Ingredients
- Two teaspoons of red chili powder
- Two teaspoons of Cumin seed
- Two teaspoons of Fennel seed
- Salt to taste
- Two medium sized onions
- Add all dry ingredients in a mixer grinder and make powder
- Chop the onions and make a rough paste in the mixer grinder
Step 3: Mix All Ingredients With Rice
- Mash the fermented rice lightly with a spoon
- Add the spice powder prepared earlier to the rice
- Add the onion paste and mix well
Now our rice mix to prepare the crispies is ready
Step 4: Make Crispies
Now we need to make small rough shaped balls with the rice mix
- Use a large sized sifter or any such material. I have used a sifter made of bamboo
- Cover it with a clean cloth and keep it in the sun
- Take small amount of rice mix in your hand and make rough-shaped balls like this over the cloth
- Leave this in the sun till all the crispies are completely dried
Step 5: Collect and Store the Crispies
Once the crispies are fully dried, you can collect them and store in an air-tight container.
These crispies can be deep fried in oil and served as side with Rice
Participated in the
Makerspace Contest 2017