Introduction: Rolled Chickens With Roasted Rice
I’d love to introduce you my favourite Rolled Chicken Recipe that I love very much . It reminds me with those days in summer when I was a child when the whole family are gathered in a feast , party or when we travel back to Egypt with those chicken rolls are in the middle decorating the table with those little shiny caps of foil that was attracting me much to eat them and the taste that was full of flavors and very delicious .Every one likes the rolled chicken in my family.
In my country “Egypt” it’s a one of the folkloric recipes it has another name actually it’s the commonest name it’s called “the lying pigeons “ as they look like stuffed pigeons and it’s another folkliric recipe .The chicken rolls originally stuffed with rice or freekeh although, every family has its recipe and its type of stuff. In my family, we stuff it with mushrooms or peas and carrots as will be presented to you in this Instructable .
Also I will show you a recipe of rice we serve it with the chicken rolls you will never get enough of it soooooo delicious.
a PDF of the recipe at the last step
Step 1: Ingredients
1)For Chicken Rolls
- chicken (5 pieces breasts or thighs)
- 3cups boiled water
- 6 onions (4 mince + 2 wedges)
- 3 carrots (grated)
- I cup peas
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- Cardamom (5 pieces) (you can find it online or in grocery)
- 3 tbs Vegetable oil
- 2 cups Egyptian Rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- I onion ( medium size)
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 5 tbs Vegetable oil (2 for onion + 3 for rice)
Step 2: Equipments
- Large pot
- Skillet or wok
- Baking pan / glass pan
- Plastic wrap /stretch film
- Tin foil
Step 3: Making Chicken Rolls
- Chickens preparation
- First you should prepare the chicken pieces and debone them leaving skin and small bone at the end giving its characteristic shape “I linked a video showing how to remove bone from breast or thigh of chickens” https://youtu.be/p4KRbzhCs5A
- **or you can use fillet breast with or without skin it’s much easier but you will not able to add the tin foil cap at the end as I will show you.
- Then put the chicken with 2 minced onions and salt, pepper , powdered onion and powdered garlic
- Leave it overnight or for 4-6 hours in the fridge "In Egypt we use onions in many recipes and with large amounts to get the wanted flavour and we love onions"
- Put vegetable oil in skillet or wok and heat
- Add 2 minced onions to oil and stir till it golden brown color
- Then Add carrots , peas , salt and pepper to it and give them a stir for 1 minutes ,as it will be cooked well inside the chicken
- Set aside to be cooled
NB * the leftover of the filling may be continue its cooking process on medium heat with stir and served with rice and chicken as salad or side dish or even garnish over the rice (presented at last photo )
Step 4: Rolling
- The chicken will rolled in Plastic wrap /stretch film and tin foil over it
- Put a piece of foil and Plastic wrap on a plate then put chicken on it with the skin down
- Put the filling in the chicken , roll it and secure it with the Plastic wrap then tin foil over it
- The peripheries of the foils rolled and secured properly as shown in photos
- Put the chicken rolls in the glass pan/baking pan
- Put the onion wedges , Cardamom, salt and pepper and 3 cups boiled water
- Cover the pan with foil
Step 5: Straight to the Oven!
- Put it in the middle of the oven at 200°c (390°f) for 1 hour then remove it from the oven remove the foil an plastic film and leave part of foil on the small bone at the end of the chicken roll and
- Put it back in oven so the skin take a golden color for 10-15 minutes
Step 6: Making Rice
- In a pot add 2 tbs vegetable oil then add the rice stir it on medium to high heat until it becomes brown in color . It takes about 15-20 minutes then set aside . (It’s roasted rather than fried rice as the amount of oil is not much )
- In skillet or wok put 2 tbs vegetable oil and heat it then add the minced onion to it and stir till it turns into golden brown color
- Add the tomato paste , chicken stock , cinnamon ,salt and pepper and till it boils.
- Then add the the stock mix to the rice on high heat and stir till the rice absorbs most of the water then lower the heat to low heat and stir the rice every 5 minutes till it well cooked it takes about 15-20 minutes
*Well cooked rice should be easily smashed between the fingers and not grainy or crunchy in chewing .
**You should check if the rice wants more water when it’s not get done and it’s dry so you should add a little water to it and continue its cooking process.
Step 7: Serving
- You can serve the Chicken Rolls as a whole piece or you can Slice it as presented in the photos
- You can serve the Rice with the leftover of the filling after it has been cooked well over medium heat and serve it as garnish or as a side dish.
Bon Apetit ... I hope you like this recipe and love it as I do , I hope you enjoy reading and vote for me :D
I'm more than welcome to have any of your questions and comment about the recipe.
This is my first Instructable I wish you leave me comments so I can improve my work ;)
you can download PDF of the recipe
Participated in the
Comfort Food Challenge