Introduction: Sinusoidal Wave Maker
Wanted to see something like a sine wave without the aid of computers here is an instruct-able on how to make a very simple sine wave on a piece of thread with mostly anything you can find at home.
The frequency and the number of nodes on the wave can vary in how much of voltage you put into the motor ,
but amplitude will remain constant .
Maybe one could control the motors speed using an arduino to make a wave of your choice.
Right now it is only powered by 5 AAA batteries soon it might become better with variable voltage.
Step 1: Gather All the Stuff Needed!
The parts needed for this project are
- A base board or an examination pad.(I used an examination pad)
- Some wood i would recommend some balsa wood(because its easy to cut)
- Copper coil 221 AWG(I think its better to use a steel wire)
- Four chopsticks(I used some aluminium rods which were lying here and there)
- A lot of empty pen refills.(and pens)
- An electric motor
- A lot of hot glue or super glue
- A switch(optional)
- Power source(batteries)
That's all the stuff needed.
Step 2: Making the Piston Housing ,piston and Crankshaft
The Piston housing:-
The housing can be made by using wooden chopsticks ,they can be placed according to the cap size of the pen cap you are using to make the piston.Place the four chopsticks on the base board or examination pad using hot glue or super glue as shown in the picture
The piston can be made using the cap or body of the pen you are using with a push rod made using refills.
connect these two as shown in the picture using wire.
This can be made according to your preference . The square can be taller according to how much of amplitude you want for the wave.The black thing on one of its end is a small connector to connect the motor to the crankshaft nicely.(You don't need to use it)
Step 3: Making the Motor Housing , the Crankshaft Supporter and the String Holder
The motor housing is made using balsa wood cut using a small kitchen knife.
Same as for the crankshaft supporter but instead of making a deep depression ,a small gap can be made just enough to put a pen refill to support the crankshaft.Before you make the crank shaft supporter make sure the height of the motors shaft is exactly the same as the refill.
The string holder can be made using balsa wood and a zip ties to hold the string.
Step 4: Final Step!
Congrats! Looks like your almost done now the only step left is to put all the parts together and the power source as shown in the images and your done.
- You could connect the motor to a micro controller using a motor driver and control its speed which will increase the frequency of your wave and give you more nodes.
- Also, you could find a way to change the amplitude of the wave by somehow changing the size of the square in the crankshaft.
- Maybe also after connecting it to a motor driver use a midi file to create waves according to a song
- the possibilities are endless.
Participated in the