Introduction: Small Wooden Box From Popsicle Sticks
This is my first Instructables. Hope you’ll like this.
Today I'm going to make a small wooden jewelry box made out of popsicle sticks. This small box is a great idea for gifting small items inside it. It looks amassing after finishing the whole project.
So let’s begin the work.
Step 1: What We Need
Things we need:
- Popsicle sticks / Ice-creme sticks
- Some tooth picks
- Super glue & Acrylic glue
- Rubber band
- Crafting knife
- Wood burner Iron (for design)
- Some micro fiber for inner decoration
Step 2: Making the Box
- Glue ( acrylic or superglue) the sticks side by side like the picture.
- Cut 2 x 3'' sticks for bottom box walls (Bottom box big) and upper lid (Upper lid big) walls each.
- Now cut 2 x 2" sticks for bottom box walls (Bottom box small) and upper lid (Upper lid small) walls.
- And 2 x 3" for the upper and bottom cover.
- Now glue them all like the picture shown above. Use the superglue and acrylics for more firm bonds. We'll need lots of glues.
- After that, use the rubber bands to keep the structure in its shape and to join with each other firmly.
Step 3: Making the Hinge
Now make two hinges for the Lid to attach with the box.
- Cut 6 x 0.5cm small pieces of the sticks for the hinge's hands.
- Round one edge of each piece for flexible movement (without this the box will not open it'll mane friction). And make small holes for the toothpick.
- Make 3 pieces in each group and insert a toothpick inside the holes. This will give us two sets of hinge.
- Use a small drop (be caution of it, otherwise it may block move mechanism) of super glue to attach the toothpick with the hinge hands.
Step 4: Attaching All Hings With the Box
Now let's attach the hinge with the box. Attach one hand of the hinge with the Upper lid and two with the bottom box from each group of hinge hand. Use superglue for this for better attachment. Cut the extra pic of Toothpick.
Step 5: Inside the Box
Now decorate the inside of the box with any material you want or leave it as it is. I've used a microfiber for the inside decorating.
Step 6: Sanding and Finishing the Box
After all is done use sandpaper to make the structure smooth and lost of glue again and sanding to make the structure more strong and smooth.
I used a pencil to design an outline of a butterfly and used a wood burner to trace the outline of the pencil design to make the butterfly design (sorry somehow I've lost the pictures of that doing.)
After finishing the final design the box really looked wonderful that I wasn't expecting. The picture can't show the actual beauty.
So this is the end of my first DIY wooden box with Popsicle sticks. I know there are mistakes of proper instruction and pictures of my first Instructables. Hope I'll be more careful in future ideas.
Participated in the