Introduction: Spicy Halloumi Bake
Welcome to an easy to make winter warmer halloumi bake. Inspired by a halloumi kebab recipe this is much simpler and easier to prepare.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 18-20 minutes
Suitable for vegetarians
- Fajita seasoning
- Halloumi Cheese
- 1 Red Onion
- 2 Bell Peppers (ideally different colours)
- Olive Oil
- Rice (white or brown, your preference)
Step 1: Seasoning
- Take an oven proof dish suitable (I find a square pyrex roasting dish works well)
- Add two heaped tablespoons of fajita seasoning (add more if you enjoy heat, less if you don't)
- Add two tablespoons of olive oil (more if you added extra seasoning)
- Stir the seasoning and olive oil into a paste and spread it evenly in the dish
- Keep the spoon, we will use it next!
Step 2: Halloumi Preparation
- Unpack the halloumi to be cubed
- First cut slices approximately 5mm thick
- Stack three slices and cut into three strips
- Cut all strips into cubes
- Add the cubed halloumi to the paste mixture
- Stir until the cubes are coated and spread them across the dish
Step 3: Peppers & Onion
- Cube the red onion as coarsely or finely as you like
- Add the onion to the halloumi cubes
- Cube the peppers and add to the dish
- Stir until the entire dish contents are coated in seasoning
- Spread the contents evenly in the dish to ensure even cooking
Step 4: Cooking
- Preheat the oven to 180c (200c if you prefer crispy halloumi)
- Bring a pot of water to the boil and prepare rice
- Put the halloumi dish into the middle of the oven for 18-20 minutes
- Align cooking times so that the halloumi and rice are ready at the same time
Step 5: Serve!
My personal preference is to serve the halloumi on a bed of rice however please experiment and let us know how it goes!
Garlic bread is an excellent side for this dish. You may also want to experiment with the composition. Crushed garlic cloves or chorizo (for non-vegetarians) provides deeper flavours but also requires more preparation time.
I hope you enjoy!