Introduction: Summer Plaid Dress
Hi everyone! Here I have a cute fun little summer plaid dress. It is very easy to make and a fun simple project to do.
- 1-2 yards of plaid fabric depending on length you want
- 1/2 a yard of black fabric
- Ribbon with bow
- Velvet ribbon for straps
- Sewing machine
- Lace ribbion
Step 1: Cutting Out the Pieces I Used to Make the Dress
First for the top part of the dress I cut out two rectangular pieces that together fit around my bust ( which was how I measured it to made sure it fit me) and then I cut a black piece as well as a lace piece that was the same size as the black piece to allow for the dress to be big enough to fit over my head.
Then for the bottom part of the dress I cut out two plaid pieces using one of my skirts to make sure it fit around my waist and legs.
After that I cut out two rectangles out of the black fabric which were as long as the skirt depend on how much bigger I wanted this part to be.
Lastly I cut some black velvet ribbon for the straps and got a wider ribbon which I made a bow on for the top of the dress, as well as lace which I used to trim the bottom of the dress.
Step 2: Making the Top of the Dress
- The first thing I did was cut one of the rectangular plaid pieces straight down the middle. Then I sewed the black square to the lace square making a cute backing for the dress.
- After that I sewed the ends of the flannel pieces together and then sewed the black piece to where I cut one of the flannel pieces down the middle.
- After everything was put together I then added the ribbon around the top of what we just made to line the top.
- Lastly I attached the two velvet straps to the top finishing off the top part of the dress.
Step 3: Making the Bottom Part of the Dress
- First using the black rectangles and plaid cut outs of a skirt I attached the black rectangles to each side of the plaid allowing it to look somewhat like a skirt and allowing it to be loose around your body so you can fit it over your head with the top part of the dress.
Step 4: Attaching the Top of the Dress to the Bottom
- For this part all I did was sew the top that we made to the bottom allowing it to turn form a skirt and a shirt to a cute plaid dress. Once I did this, for the finishing touch all I did was sew some white lace to the bottom of the dress.
And voila now you have a cute summer plaid dress to show off that you can say you made yourself!
Participated in the
Sew Fast Speed Challenge