Introduction: Supercharged KD
You can make a healthy, complete meal with protein, vegetables and great flavour by adding 3 ingredients to a package of Kraft Dinner.
Step 1: Assemble Ingredients
Start with a package of Kraft Dinner (KD) or similar instant mac and cheese product.
For the basic KD, you add milk and butter.
For supercharged KD, you will also add:
- a can of tuna
- some grated parmesan or cheddar cheese, or nutritional yeast which has a delicious cheese like flavour
Step 2: Prepare Ingredients
Wash and chop broccoli into bite sized flowerets.
Open can of tuna and drain off excess liquid.
Step 3: Cook Pasta and Add Broccoli Near End of Boil Time
Cook pasta in plenty of boiling water.
3 minutes before the end of pasta cooking time, add broccoli. For example, if KD instructions are to boil the pasta for 7 minutes, add the broccoli after 4 minutes. Once the pot returns to a boil, cook the broccoli and pasta mixture for another 3 minutes.
Step 4: Drain Pasta and Add Remaining Ingredients
- Drain pasta and broccoli.
- Melt butter in the same pot you boiled pasta in (follow directions on box - usually 1 or 2 tablespoons of butter)
- Add the drained pasta and broccoli to pot.
- Add the packet of cheese powder from the KD box, the tuna, the grated cheese and the milk (about 1/3 cup).
- Stir together on stove until mixed and heated through.
Step 5: Enjoy!
This recipe makes 2 large or 3 average servings.
Garnish with parsley if desired and serve with a glass of red or white wine.
Enjoy your supercharged KD, feeling virtuous knowing that you are getting both protein and vegetables!
Participated in the