Introduction: Swedish Nachos
This Nachos recipe features homemade Swedish Meatballs in a gorgeous brown gravy. The meatballs and gravy are ladled atop a bed of crispy-fried egg noodle "nacho" chips, blanketed in shredded Swiss cheese; then garnished with a dollop of cool sour cream and a finishing pinch of tarragon.
My husband has learned not to ask me what I'm serving. But he did have one burning question after sampling these Swedish Nachos.
He asked: "Can I eat the whole thing?" ;-) Yeah.. they're that good. ;-)
Step 1: Crispy Fried Egg Noodles:
Begin building this Nacho recipe with the crispy-fried Egg noodles. You'll need pre-boiled Egg Noodles and Oil... that's it. The recipe is linked below:
Step 2: Meatballs: Ingredients and Preparation
- 1 1/2 pounds Ground Beef
- 1/2 cup chopped Onion
- 1/2 cup freshly torn bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large Egg, lightly beaten
- 2 Tablespoons Non-fat Dry Milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Begin by crumbling the ground beef in a bowl. Sprinkle on the garlic salt and nutmeg and mix well with your finger tips.
Add the rest of the ingredients and mix lightly but thoroughly.
Roll the meat mixture into 1" Balls. For regular Swedish Meatballs, form 2" Balls. (I made both sizes.)
Bake in preheated oven. 12-15 minutes for the 1" balls. 20-25 minutes for the larger 2" Balls.
Remove the meatballs and set them aside.
Reserve the drippings.
It's time to make the gravy.
Step 3: Gravy: Ingredients and Preparation
- Pan drippings plus additional Butter to equal 1/2 cup. (See pics)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups Beef broth
- 1 cup Evaporated Milk
- 1/4 teaspoon Dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic pepper (or regular black)
Put the drippings/butter in a large skillet, then add the flour..
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Keep stirring and let it boil for 4-5 minutes.
Stir in broth, evaporated milk, dill and Garlic pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil again and thickens. If the sauce is too thick, add more water a tablespoon at a time.
Turn the heat to low and continue stirring the simmering sauce for 5 minutes more. (There is nothing worse than a floury-tasting gravy.) Do a taste test and judge the texture for yourself. If it needs more cook time... follow Nikes' advice and just do it. ;-)
When you're happy with the flavor of your gravy, add the meatballs and keep it simmering hot.
It's time to build your fabulous Swedish Nachos-->
Step 4: Garnish Ingredients and Nacho Construction:
- 1-2 cups Swiss Cheese- grated
- Sour Cream
- Dried Tarragon Leaves
- Layer several Noodle Chips in the bottom on a bowl.
- Spoon on a little gravy.
- Add several more Noodle Chips.
- Spoon ample gravy with meatballs on next. (lots of meatballs, but try not to get greedy! ;-)
- Sprinkle the Swiss Cheese generously over the meatballs & gravy, then microwave for 30 seconds or until it starts to melt.
- Sprinkle with Tarragon.
- Add a big dollop of Sour Cream