Introduction: T-motoR

About: Self-made, well made

Few months ago I read about a DC-motor made by Victor8o5 (link). It is very well described and one can easily follow the instructions. Nevertheless, I think the same thing could be build little simpler.

Instead of using a wooden block I would use just a breadboard. With some little wire and almost the same result can be achieved. In general the steps for making the rotor are the same.

I made everything much smaller and my biggest challenge was the rotor itself. I had difficulties to connect the holding “bar” with the coil, so that it was stable. In the end I chose a very simple solution and made the wire with the same shape as the coil. It worked almost perfectly, but since it wasn’t really centered the rotor is little wobbly. Not that it really matters, but it could be improved.

First, I made one with a PCB, I could solder a relatively thin wire for holding the rotor. All the other components are soldered too. For the coil I used thin copper wire (I assume approx. 0.2mm diameter) and several turns. The motor works well with 1-10V and the current is less than 100mA.

Just for fun I tried if I could do the same thing with a breadboard and it really worked. I even didn’t need to glue the magnet. The forces are on the other direction and for a trial one don’t really need to fix the magnet.

Try it yourself, one needs much less effort and material to build it than it may seem on the first hand.

Hopefully this can inspire somebody to try it too. If you would like to see more pictures from this project or from others, check out one of these pages: