Introduction: TRUE 1000 FEET FLEXIBLE MILLIPEDE 3D PRINT Using BLENDER STL REMIX
This shows a simple workflow to modify existing stl files simply with blender and end up with awesome custom models without having any major 3D modeling skills
MODEL CAN BE FOUND AT : https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/35516-1000-feet-flexible-millipede-print-in-place-flexib
Step 1: STL MODIFICATION
The initial model is an awesome mode to print, check it out at https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-mill...
PLEASE CHECK THE VIDEO FOR MORE INFORMATION !
The basic process is :
- masking individual module from the initial stl
- Using Array modifier to multiply the module and have as many links as we want
- Curve it to make it fit into a 210*240mm area to print it on a standard prusa MK3
- Use a decimate modifier to reduce the quality of the model to reduce it's size when having hundreds of links.
- Export it as an stl to slice and print.
Step 2: Slicing and Printing
Depending of the file size, you will need quite a lot of RAM or even crash the slicer. This is normal
I used a 0.6 nozzle with 0.3 layer height to reduce the print time to less than 24H
PRINT SUCCEEDED FIRST PRINT
Uses a lot of retraction, around 50 000, so bowden extruder might have some issues.
Need perfect first layer, if too much adhesion or leveling issue, you may need the use of a raft, which will add some additional post-processing.
If any link breaks during usage, using hot glue to glue it back together works perfectly and is not noticeable.
ENJOY THE FIRST AND ONLY REAL MILLIPEDE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!