Introduction: Text to Braille and Audio
This project was created by me and my friend Akiva Brookler as a school project for our engineering class. The idea behind it was to create a way for blind people who can only read in braille to be able to read text sent to their computer. Nowadays people who are blind can only read from printed braille paper which can be very expensive. This project allows people to read anything on their computer such as texts or websites. This project took us a few months but we went through a lot of versions so in reality it could be done in a few weeks or even a long weekend. Approximate price is roughly (calculate). This is not a very easy project and requires some background knowledge in Arduino.
Step 1: Parts
Here are the parts for the project:
1. 3D printed shell (see attached)
2. 9 servos https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Helicopter-Airplane-R... ($18)
3. 1 360 servo https://www.adafruit.com/product/2442 ($7.50)
4. Arduino Board https://store.arduino.cc/usa/arduino-uno-rev3 ($22)
5. Power Module https://www.amazon.com/JBtek-Breadboard-Supply-Ard... ($6)
6. Wall adapter power supply https://www.amazon.com/Wall-Adapter-Power-Supply-650mA/dp/B003XZSZWO/ref=pd_sbs_60_23?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003XZSZWO&pd_rd_r=deac1c9f-81a1-11e9-b9be-2339e3b9437a&pd_rd_w=xpT3l&pd_rd_wg=E3PzR&pf_rd_p=588939de-d3f8-42f1-a3d8-d556eae5797d&pf_rd_r=ZF753F9PSJ2BTH085FXT&psc=1&refRID=ZF753F9PSJ2BTH085FXT ($6.59)
7.Linear Slide https://www.servocity.com/785-gear-rack-kit-637170...
Step 2: Print Out All the 3D Models
3D print all of the models out (I recommend printing the pins out at a slower layer speed). Take out the supports and sand everything.
Step 3: Setting Up the Servos for the Braille
Set up the servos (Middle is 5V, the brown wire is ground, the orange wire is the pin). Tape them into groups of 3 stacking them so that they don't hit each other.
Step 4: Setting Up the Noise Emitter
See the diagram for this setup.
Step 5: Setting Up the Linear Slide
Mount the continuous rotation servo on the linear slide and screw it into the shell of the project.
Step 6: Drill Holes and Mount the Top
Drill holes in the cover and then mount the cover to the top.
Step 7: Test
Now you just have to test it with our code (The processing code allows you to make a nicer looking text box) make sure you have the proper libraries downloaded. Thank You so much for following along if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask.