Thread Kebabs

Intro: Thread Kebabs

This is an easy way to keep thread spools organized. It makes it easy to search through a large stash of spools without tangling...

STEP 1: Measure Your Container

We keep our thread spools in a drawer of the sewing table.

STEP 2: Cut Some Dowels

I made our sticks a couple inches shorter than the drawer. 3/16" or 1/4" dowels work well for the holes in the spools. A nice way to finish the ends of the dowels is to give them a twist or two in a pencil sharpener. Hopefully your pencil sharpener is sharp.

STEP 3: Find Some Stoppers

I found some little rubber container lids with a hole in them at my favorite surplus store. But you can use whatever you have: mini clothespins, rubber bands, scrap leather or rubber with a hole punched in it. Punch the hole one size smaller than your dowel size so it will be snug.

STEP 4: Enjoy

It's nice to be able to group spools by related colors or projects. Cheers.

3 Comments

Great idea, thank you for sharing. I was thinking of using rubber bands for the stoppers but then they go bad an break. Next idea was to cut circles from plastic milk containers and cut a cross in the center to push the dowel through...might work. Another thought I had was to drill holes in a board and stand the dowels up in them if you need the drawer space for something else. :)
I love this idea! I got dowels to store my ribbon but didn't want to build some whole setup, but I could just put them on the dowels like this! Thanks for sharing :)
Neat! Thank you for sharing the idea :-)