Introduction: Tim Allen Machine
"This Instructable Was Created in Fulfillment of the Project Requirement of the Makecourse at the University of South Florida (www.makecourse.com)"
This is an instructable of my project for makers course.
Step 2: Assembly / Cad
1. Download the following .stl files in order to get the box components.
2. The parts you're looking at consist of:
a. A lid with a bar, which can move.
b. two identical long sides which function as sides.
c. a shorter side with a cut-out for an lcd as a side and a display holder.
d. a short side for being a side.
e. the bottom of the box. for holding it all together
f. the top of the box with a cut-out for a lid to hide the internals.
g. Two pulleys that the servo will maneuver.
h. you will print two pulleys and two longer sides.
Step 3: Assembly
0. Assemble the box.
1. Once you have all the parts required, go ahead and glue the breadboard to the inside of one of the longer sides, and glue your arduino to the adjacent side.
2. Take a spool and wrap a length of ribbon around it four times and then measure out a length of string to attach to the underside of the lid that will cause the box to raise when it is pulled.
3. Glue the string to the underside of the lid.
4. Glue the spool to the stepper motor.
5. Glue your stepper motor to the top of the box behind the lid, near the side that has the hole in the middle and holes underneath it.
6. Fit the LCD screen inside its fitting on the short side with a hole cut out into it.
7. Glue the speaker to the underside of your lid.
8. Take off the lid and top and set it to the side.
9. Now it's time to begin wiring
Step 4: Wiring(cellboard)
Above is the wiring diagram for the box.
1. The Tx pin should connect to 3 on the Arduino
2. The Rx pin should connect to 4 on the Arduino
3. The Rst pin should connect to 5 on the Arduino
4. The Ri pin should connect to 2 on the Arduino
5. the battery ground and + should connect to the negative and positive power rails respectively.
6. the Vio pin should be connected to the 5v power rail
7. the key pin needs to be grounded.
Step 5: Wiring the Motors
1. The servo should have it's brown wire to ground.
2. The red wire needs to go on the positive power rail.
3. the orange wire needs to connect to 10 on the arduino.
1. the stepper motor wires need to connect to 6,7,8, & 9.
2. the red wire connects to the positive power rail, the other connects to ground.
Step 6: Wiring the Speaker and Lcd
1. the ground on the speaker connects to pin 11
2. the red wire goes to the positive power rail.
1. the scl pin connects the pin after pin 13 on the arduino.
2. the Sda pin connects to the adjacent pin.
3. ground pin goes to the ground rail.
4. the live pin goes to the five volt power rail.
Step 7: Assembling the Pulley System.
Readying the servo
1. Cut a bamboo skewer to a little more than the length of one of your pulleys
2. Stick the bamboo skewer end into the servo and then glue it in place.
The top part
1. From where you placed your servo, mark 1.5 inches above it on both long sides of the box.
2. Once you have your mark, take some rubber bands and rubber band the two pieces together.
3. Drill using a 3/8th's inch drill bit where you placed your mark until you've drilled through both pieces.
4. Unbind the two pieces.
5.. Take a straw and cut it down to be the depth of your holes, this will act as a bushing.
6. Take your pulley and skewer it using the bamboo skewer.
Preparing the chain:
1. Take a rubber band that is taut around the two pulleys.
2. Glue an action figure of your choice to the rubber band in a fashion that it stays erect.
3. Put the chain on the pulleys.
Step 8: Coding
1. Attached is the code you will need in order to run the program. It has comments explaining the code as you progress and code it.
Question 4 years ago on Step 9
What does it do ? One big mistake that is made here is that the builder doesn't start out with a description of what it does.
4 years ago
Fun project.If you want to make the video easier for people to view, you can upload it to a site like Youtube and then embed it on the page using the Embed Video tool in the step editor. Then people will be able to view it on the page without having to download it.