Introduction: Train Seat Indicator
Does this happen to you? In the front part of the train people have to stand, while in the last part of the train there are plenty of chairs unoccupied. What if on the outside of the train there would be a sign that tells you how many seats are free? This is what we tried to design. The seats detect when a person is sitting down or getting up from the seat and shows this information on the screen.
Students at HKU (The Netherlands).
Step 1: SET UP: Gather All Components:
1. Arduino Uno
4. 10k Ohm Resistors
You can sew the pillows yourself or use factory ones. If you decide to sew the pillows you will need to follow the instructions on this website:
I decided to make the pillows at a size of 40cm x 40cm and 5cm thick, I needed 1,5 square meters of fabric and 3 zippers of 35cm long. Follow the description and sew it all together.
Step 2: Wiring Components
1. Insert one wire into the 5V power port in the Arduino and connect it to the plus of the breadboard.
Then connect the GND to the minus on the breadboard.
2. Add the buttons like in the image below.
3. Connect the plus wire to the right side of the buttons and connect a resistor (10K ohm) with the brown side to the button.
4. Connect the outputs of the resistor to the minus Inputs.
5. Connect the left-bottom sides to the digital 2, 3, 4 Pins.
Step 3: Arduino Code
Write and upload the Arduino code above.
Step 4: Visualization
To show your buttons data on a laptop screen use code above and a USB-cable.
6 years ago
That would be really useful :)