Introduction: Unlock Your Door With a Hand Gesture
I was browsing the techchrunch website a while ago when i stumbled on an article talking about gesture recognition technology being used to open door locks, while the product is not out yet i thought to do my best with my smartphone and some components i have lying around.
Step 1: What We Need to Begin
1- An Arduino board (i am using an arduino Uno here)
3- One micro servo
4- One door bolt (the one i am using is already mounted on the door)
5- Male to male jumper wires
6- a piece of striped wire
1- The Arduino IDE which you can download here
2- Get the 1sheeld Arduino library and the phone app here
Step 2: Wiring and Setup
- mount the 1sheeld on the Arduino board
Make sure the power switch shown above is turned to 5V (for Arduino UNO users) if you're using another Arduino board check here
- Connect your servo motor as shown in figure
VCC ==> to the 5V in your 1sheeld
GND ==> to your GND in 1sheeld
Signal==> to pin 10 in your 1sheeld
Step 3: Software
- Simply, the code reads the values of your phone's accelerometer and checks for a predefined gesture.
- Upload the attached code and lets move to the next and final step.
PS: make sure the 1sheeld is in upload mode as seen in the image above
Step 4: Putting It All Together
- Mount the components on the back of the door as seen in pictures
- Attach the servo to the bolt using the striped wire
- Connect the servo to the 1sheeld as specified in step 2
- Connect the Arduino to your laptop and make sure the code is uploaded
- Switch the 1sheeld back to operating mode
- Open your 1sheeld app and connect your phone to your 1sheeld board (check 1sheeld tutorial here if you haven't already)
- Select the accelerometer and buzzer shields(the first two from the top), and press on the multiple shields icon at the top right of the app.
- Now, hold your phone flat -screen facing upward- , then rotate your phone left untill the screen is facing left, and finally put you phone in an upright position. (Or you can watch the video :D)
- Voilà the door is unlocked (will automatically re-lock after a short delay)
- Finally i want to encourage you to tinker around with the project add or remove from it however you see fit , and if there's anything i can help you with please let me know
PS: Tune the delay to see what works best for you.