Introduction: Upcycled Cat Wand
In this instructable I will show you how to make a cat wand / sparkler toy for your cats or kittens.
- Nail Polish
- Wood Dowel
- Cotton Thread
- Chip Bag (Doritos)
- Blue Masking Tape
- Utility Knife
- Table Edge
Step 1: Cut Strips
In this step, you'll want to create the strips of the wand that will make noise and sparkle.
- Wash the chip bag. It should be difficult to open and fairly rigid so that the wand is durable.
- From the chip bag, cut out a rectangle about 5-6" wide by 12-16" long.
- Tape the rectangle so that approximately 1/4" to 1/2" covers the edge of the table.
- Cut strips to the edge of the table that are approximately 1/8" to 3/8" wide.
- The strips should all be joined together at the top by that covers the edge of the table.
Step 2: Add Slot
In this step, add a slot to the dowel to hold the strips:
- Gently rock the utility knife back and forth at the edge of the dowel.
- Apply light pressure to make a slot about 1/2" to 3/4" deep.
- Do this carefully! It's easy to split the dowel in half or injure yourself.
Step 3: Wrap Strips
In this step, wrap the wand and place the string:
- Insert the strips into the slot, about half-way.
- Wrap the strips around the wand.
- Insert a string near the end of the wrap.
Step 4: Wrap String
In this step wrap and secure the string:
- Tighten the strips with the string inserted.
- Wrap the strips completely at the dowel-rod end.
- Tape the string to hold the wrapping tight.
Step 5: Lacquer
In this step, finish the wrapping with nail polish:
- Cover the wrapping with nail polish.
- Let wrapping dry for a few hours.
- Cut off the excess string.
BONUS: I tried making a few different sizes of wand. What's important is that the strips are thin and about 4-6" long. If they are too short, they are too rigid to make noise.
Step 6: Play
Play with your cats or kittens. You can use it to replace worn out existing toys, like shown on the tower. Cats and kittens love the toy, shown is a worn out prototype.