Introduction: Vegetarian Sloppy Joes
This is a simple and delicious Vegetarian version of Sloppy Joe sandwiches using soy protein in the form of dehydrated Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP) that I have used and enjoyed for years.
The ingredients you'll need are:
- 1 Cup TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein)
- 1 Cup hot water
- 2 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 green bell pepper
- 5 large mushrooms
- 1 can diced tomatoes (standard size, 14 oz/398ml)
- 1/2 Cup tomato ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 burger buns to serve on
* If you prefer a thicker Sloppy Joe mix, add 1-2 Tablespoons of tomato paste when adding the final ingredients
* If you prefer a sweeter Sloppy Joe mix, add 1 Tablespoon of brown sugar when adding the final ingredients
The kitchen equipment you'll need is:
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- small and medium-sized mixing bowls
- large skillet
- kitchen knife for chopping vegetables
- cutting board to chop vegetables on
- can opener
- heat-safe cooking utensil for skillet
- plates for serving
Step 1: Mix TVP and Hot Water Together
Mix the 1 Cup of TVP and 1 Cup hot water together in a medium-sized bowl and cover with a plate or lid, then set aside to rehydrate.
Step 2: Mince Garlic and Dice Onion, Mushroom and Green Pepper
- Peel and mince the garlic
- Peel and dice the onion
- Trim and dice the mushrooms
- Core and dice the green pepper
Step 3: Heat Oil, Then Sauté Garlic and Onion
Heat the canola oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, then add the garlic and onion.
Saute the garlic and onion for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning, until onion is translucent and garlic just begins to brown.
Step 4: Add Diced Green Pepper to Skillet
Add the green pepper to the skillet with the garlic and onion. Sauté on medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes until the green pepper begins to soften, stirring occasionally to prevent any burning.
Step 5: Add Diced Mushrooms to Skillet
Add the diced mushrooms to the skillet with the garlic, onion and green pepper. Sauté for 3-5 minutes on medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to prevent burning until the mushrooms have softened and released their water.
Step 6: Mix Remaining Ingredients Together and Add to Skillet
Mix the 1/2 Cup tomato ketchup, 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt together in a small bowl.
Use a can opener to open the can of diced tomatoes.
Retrieve your rehydrated TVP.
Add all these remaining ingredients to the skillet and mix well.
Step 7: Simmer Ingredients Until Most Liquid Is Absorbed or Evaporated
Allow the mixture to come to a simmer, increasin the heat if inecessary and stirring ocassionally to prevent scorching.
Simmer until most of the liquid is either absorbed or evaporated so the consistency is a thick sauce rather than watery (so it won't make your burger buns soggy).
Step 8: Spoon Onto Burger Buns, Then Devour.
Spoon a generous helping of the Sloppy Joe mixture onto a sliced burger bun and devour with gusto!
Participated in the
Meat Free Meal Challenge