Introduction: Westernized Teriyaki Beef Bowl
These instructions are for a simple, westernized Japanese beef bowl recipe taught to me by my mother. Makes 2-3 servings. Optional ingredients are included if you want a more traditional Japanese feel.
Gather the following cookware:
i. Medium sized pan
ii. Measuring cup
iii. Kitchen knife
iv. Cutting board
vi. Medium pot with lid OR rice cooker
vii. 2 bowls
Gather the following ingredients:
i. ~ ½ lb boneless cut of beef, preferably steak
ii. ½ cup of teriyaki sauce
iii. 1 cup of rice
iv. 2 cups of water
v. 1 tablespoon of butter
vi. 1 medium/small sweet yellow onion
vii. 1 broccoli crown OR 2 cups of frozen broccoli florets
viii. 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds
ix. 2 cloves of garlic
x. 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
xi. 2 tablespoons of flour or cornstarch
xii. Salt and pepper
Additional (optional) ingredients for a more traditional flavor:
i. Green onion
ii. Red Ginger
iv. Soy beans
Step 1: Wash Your Hands, Gather and Prepare Supplies.
- Tenderize the beef by kneading and pounding it with your hands for 20-30 seconds.
- Marinate the beef in a teriyaki sauce by placing the beef into a bowl or plastic bag and pouring in ¼ cup of teriyaki sauce. Try to marinate the meat in the fridge for at least 24 hours.
Step 2: Prepare the Vegetables.
- Rinse vegetables under faucet.
- Dice the onion.
- Chop off broccoli heads OR cook frozen broccoli according to instructions on packaging.
- Mince garlic.
- Additional (optional) vegetables for a more traditional flavor:
- Slice the red ginger into thin strips.
- Boil the soy beans in salt water.
- Dice carrots
Step 3: Sautee Onions and Garlic
- Heat a large skillet or wok over medium heat.
- Add oil, onions, and garlic to the pan and cook until the onions are translucent (5-7 minutes).
- Remove onions and garlic from the pan when finished, place on cutting board.
Step 4: Prepare and Cook Rice:
- Rinse the rice in cold water.
- Drain the excess water. Some water can remain, but most should be removed by draining the pot.
- Bring 1 cup of water to boil in a medium-sized non-stick pot and add the rice.
- Bring the pot to a simmer and cover with a lid
- Reduce heat to low and let rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Lift the lid to see if the rice is done.
- If done, turn off heat and leave lid in place until ready to serve. If water is still in the pot, replace the lid and keep heat at low until rice is finished
Step 5: Prepare the Meat
- Heat pan to medium-high.
- Pat dry the marinated beef.
- Slice beef into one-inch cubes.
- Add pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add a light dusting of flour or cornstarch to the surface of the beef.
Step 6: Stir Fry Everything
- Add the butter and cubed beef to the pan and stir fry for approximately 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium and add in the following ingredients:
- Sesame seeds
- Remaining teriyaki sauce (¼ cup)
- Carrots (optional)
- Corn (optional)
- Green onion (optional)
Step 7: Enjoy!
- Divide the rice into two bowls.
- Add the stir-fried beef and vegetables to rice.
- Add in additional (optional) ingredients like:
- Red ginger
- Soy beans