Introduction: Wood Desk Lamp Dimmable
This is a dimmable lighting project.
Simple, minimalistic and with a vintage feel.
- Wooden board at least 35x35cm and 3cm thick
- Mini circuit dimmer (100W or +): Ebay Dimmer
- Base socket lamp porcelain holder: Amazon Lamp Soket Porcelain Holder
- Black aluminum rotary knob for potentiometer: Amazon Black Knob for Potentiometer
- Compact wire connectors 2 ports (Lever-nuts): Amazon Wire Connectors Lever-nuts 2 ports,
- Vintage cable 2m brown color: Ebay Vintage Cable 10m Color Brown
- 2 wire plug non-grounding male black or brown: 2 Pins Plug Male Brown
- Screw flat head Philips 3,5mm x 35mm (#6 x 1-5/8")
- Ambar glass globe LED lamp vintage Edison 5W (60W equivalent): Vintage LED Edison Bulb
- Miter saw with saw blade 12"
- CNC with milling cutter (end mill set carbide 2 fultes 6mm and V carving 30°)
- Drill press
- Drill bit 8mm
- Fostner drill bit 35mm (or the size of the lamp socket you use)
- Palm sander
- Sanding paper 120 and 220
- Bar clamp 6"
- Screwdriver Philips PH0
- Cordless Drill with driver bits
- Wire cutter pliers
- Long nose pliers
Step 1: Preparing the Wood
In the first step we will mark 3 squares of 10cm x 10cm in the wood to make the cut in the miter saw. If you have a large CNC you can make the cuts on it.
Step 2: Internal Cuts and Holes
In this step we will make the internal cuts in the wooden pieces to place the components internally. I used a CNC machine but if you don't have one, you can use a router tool.
Then, we will drill the socket hole and holes for the cable passage. Use forstner drill with diameter equal to the socket and 8mm drill for cable passage.
Step 3: Testing Wooden Fittings and Components
Put the components in place and check that the wooden parts close correctly. If necessary, make adjustments to the wooden pieces.
Step 4: Sanding Wood Pieces
Let's sand the wooden pieces. First sand the faces of each part. Then put the pieces together and sand them to make them all the same. Use the bar clamps to secure the parts.
Step 5: Component Assembly
In this step we will do the assembly of the components.
- Place the socket, it will be fixed only by pressure but if necessary, use glue to fix it,
- Put the dimmer and screw the potentiometer nut.
- Cut 2 meters of cable and thread it into the bottom piece.
Step 6: Screw Fixing Holes
Now we are going to fix the wooden pieces.
For this, we will make 4 holes in the ends of the pieces to facilitate the placement of the screws. Be careful when screwing so as not to break the wood but if it occurs, no problem, it can be fixed.
Step 7: Electric Circuit
The electrical circuit of the project is very simple.
All components will be connected in series. The drawing of the first image describes it.
Step 8: Finishing
Finally, fix the bottom piece with screws. Then, pass the product to make the wood color more vivid. I used mineral oil.
Finally, put the knob in place, adjusting it to be even between the + and -.
Step 9: Result
This is my first project for Instructables and I am very satisfied with the result.
Like, Share and Comment if you liked it.
If you try to do it and if you have any questions, I will be very happy to help :)
Participated in the
1 Person Made This Project!
- Pieman72 made it!