Introduction: Wooden Electric Motorcycle
After my electric wooden bike toy and my reproducible wooden bike, the next logical step was to build this wooden electric motorcycle. I found my local fablab a bunch of unused stuff that worked perfectly for this project: electrical motor, small lead acid batteries, speed regulator and wheelbarrow wheels.
Step 1: Tools and Material
- CNC router (flexicam)
- 3D printer
- Press drill
- 34mm drill bit
Step 2: Download the Parts
Download the dxf if you want to cut the parts directly. I also gave the solidworks files in case you want to modify something.
*Sorry I couldn't load zip and assembly files.
- cadreGauche - withPocket.DXF
- cadreGauche - Copy.SLDPRT
Step 3: Chassis Assembly
Clean the parts with sandpaper.
Now you can start assembling the chassis. (cf. image)
Be sure that everything works together before gluing. (white glue, wood glue or epoxy)
A big hammer can help but do not break the parts. If it is too difficult to assemble, go back to the sanding step.
Step 4: Fork Assembly
- Drill the chassis
- Pressfit the axle in the direction triangle (and glue)
- Cut the direction triangle to ease the lumber passage
- Insert the two lumbers 20 x 40 mm previously marked with the position
- Secure the front wheel with the M20 bolt
- Glue the down bearing on the triangle with epoxy
- Glue the down bearing on the chassis
- Glue the top bearing on the other side
Step 5: Drivetrain Assembly
- Draw the part you need and print it (sorry I lost the file, it is just a cylinder with holes)
- Tap the holes
- Screw the sprocket on it
- Screw the whole on the rear wheel
- Place the rear wheel and the chain
- secure the rear wheel with the wooden plates (last image)
Step 6: Add the Electric Parts
- Secure the battery in place
- Screw the motor on the wood
- Secure the controller
- Add the throttle (I adjusted the handlebar diameter)
- Screw the handlebar
- Secure the wires with zip ties
Try it! Stay safe! Add brakes!