Videogames are awesome. Within their virtual worlds we can be a bionic space marine blasting aliens, attack dragons with hordes of friends online, jam like a rock star, and so much more. It's so much fun that it's only natural to want to make some of the virtual stuff real. To encourage more of this we're having the game.life challenge!
The rules are simple: make any real-world item that is inspired by videogames. This can be a stuffed Chocobo, a cake that is not a lie, or an epic cosplay outfit. It's up to you. Modding an old console for a new purpose is good as well.
Just make sure to document your awesome videogame-themed item and enter it. Step By Step, Photo, and Video Instructables will be accepted.
Make something amazing and you could win a custom laser-etched iPad and the cool new iCade from ThinkGeek, which you'll be one of the first to get your hands on when it is released in June. We're also giving away laser-etched Nintendo 3DS units. 3D without glasses? That's crazy!
So get going and make something awesome. We can't wait to see what it is.
Multiple entries are accepted, but each entrant can only win one prize. Contest is open to international entries. Contest closes for entries at 11:59pm PDT, Apr. 3.
The game.life challenge is closed.
Grand Prize (1 winner)
One grand prize winner will receive a brand new iCade from ThinkGeek. Slide an iPad into it and you can play arcade games just and relive the old days with the big arcade cabinets. It won't be for available until June, but you are guaranteed to be one of the first people to get one.
Don't have an iPad? Don't worry! The grand prize winner will also be receiving a new iPad as well. We'll even customize it with some laser-etching to make it extra cool. Also, since Apple is known for updating its products we'll be sure to get the most modern version of the iPad that we can.
The grand prize winner will also receive an Instructables Prize Pack that includes a one-year Pro membership and a Robot t-shirt!
First Prize (3 winners)
Three first prize winners will receive a Nintendo 3DS. Play 3D games without wearing any goofy glasses! To make it extra cool we'll laser-etch the lid so that everyone will know that it's yours.
Also included is an Instructables Prize Pack that includes a one-year Pro membership and a Robot t-shirt.
Runner-Up Prize (5 winners)
Five Runner-Up Prize winners will receive a package of Buckyballs and an Instructables Prize Pack that includes a one-year Pro membership, Robot t-shirt, and more.
Write an Instructable
Create a new Instructable that fits the guidelines outlined in the contest description above. To be eligible, Instructables must be published between Feb 28, 2011 and Apr 3, 2011 (11:59pm PT).
Upon publishing your Instructable you'll see checkboxes for open contests. Select game.life challenge. If you have entries currently eligible for entry, it will also show up by clicking "Enter this Contest" on the right side of this page.
Entries are accepted by Instructables staff within one business day Monday - Friday. What matters is the submission time, not acceptance time.
Instructables members can vote for an entry during the contest plus 3 days after the contest closes.
A panel of judges made up of Instructables staff and respected members of the community rate the finalists. The averages of the ratings determine the winners.
When the winners are decided they will be announced here on the contest page. All entrants will be notified when this happens.
2. Participants agree to abide by all decisions of Instructables, contest co-sponsors, and judges, which shall be final and binding with respect to all issues relating to this contest.
3. Prize is not transferable and no cash alternative or prize substitution is available. Instructables and contest co-sponsors reserve the right to substitute a similar prize of equal or greater value if the prize listed is unavailable for any reason. All potential winners are subject to verification at the discretion of Instructables and contest co-sponsors.
4. Winner agrees that prizes are being provided "as is", and Instructables and contest co-sponsors make no warranty, representation or guarantee regarding the prize, including but not limited to its quality, condition, merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
5. Instructables and contest co-sponsors are not responsible for problems including (but not limited to) damaged, incorrect, inaccurate, lost, delayed, or defective entries, or for injury or damage to any computer resulting from participation in this contest. Entries that have been tampered with or altered are void.
6. Instructables reserves the right to modify, cancel, postpone or end the contest at any time as necessary, at its sole discretion, or to disqualify any participant or winner, at its sole discretion, deemed to have cheated, destroyed, obstructed, or otherwise acted illegally or in bad faith in relation to this contest.
7. Instructables reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds, in its sole discretion, to be in violation of the Terms of Service; to be acting in violation of these Official Rules; to be acting in a unethical or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person.
8. By submitting an entry and entering this contest, you represent and warrant that: you are over the age of 18, or entering with the knowledge and permission of your parent or guardian (subject to verification), and that the entry does not contain or incorporate the intellectual property and/or confidential information of any third party.
9. By submitting an entry and entering this contest, you hereby grant Instructables a perpetual, irrevocable, sublicenseable, worldwide, royalty free right to publish and distribute your entry for their promotional purposes.
10. Governing Law: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of the official rules, or the rights of entrants, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with, the substance laws of the State of California and any applicable laws and regulations of the United States.