Get out your compass and cook book, Pi Day (3/14) is almost here. Not many mathematical constants have their own holiday, but not many of them rhyme with our favorite dessert. So we're here to celebrate this one in style!
We're teaming up with Serious Eats to bring you the most serious Pi Day challenge ever. Share your best pie recipes for a chance to win an iPad engraved with the first 314 digits of pi, and fully loaded with the entire collection of Instructables ebooks currently available. Other winners will snag nifty prize packs to show their love of both pi and its tasty homophone. So dust off your protractors and pie plates, and get in the kitchen!
Be sure to act fast because this is a quick contest, closing on March 20th. So get going and make a delicious pie!
Multiple entries are accepted, but each entrant can only win one prize. Contest is open to international entries. Contest closes for entries at 11:59pm PDT, Mar. 20.
The Serious Eats Pi Day Pie Contest is closed.
Second Prize (5 winners)
First Prize (1 winner)
One First Prize winner will receive an iPad laser-engraved with Serious Eats and Instructables logos, "First Prize Pi Challenge", and 314 digits of pi. (Thankfully there's a ton of space on the back to engrave!) Also included is an Instructables Prize Pack which includes a one-year Pro membership, Robot t-shirt, and more.
Second Prize (5 winners)
Three Second Prize winners will receive a Pi plate and a Pi apron. Also included is an Instructables Prize Pack which includes a one-year Pro membership, Robot t-shirt, and more.
Runner-Up Prize (5 winners)
Five Runner-Up Prize winners will receive a Pi t-shirt and a Pi ice cube tray. Also included is an Instructables Prize Pack which includes a one-year Pro membership, Robot t-shirt, and more.
Write an Instructable
Create a new Instructable that fits the guidelines outlined in the contest description above. To be eligible, Instructables must be published between Mar 1, 2011 and Mar 20, 2011 (11:59pm PT).
Upon publishing your Instructable you'll see checkboxes for open contests. Select Serious Eats Pi Day Pie Contest. If you have entries currently eligible for entry, it will also show up by clicking "Enter this Contest" on the right side of this page.
Entries are accepted by Instructables staff within one business day Monday - Friday. What matters is the submission time, not acceptance time.
Instructables members can vote for an entry during the contest plus 3 days after the contest closes.
A panel of judges made up of Instructables staff and respected members of the community rate the finalists. The averages of the ratings determine the winners.
When the winners are decided they will be announced here on the contest page. All entrants will be notified when this happens.
2. Participants agree to abide by all decisions of Instructables, contest co-sponsors, and judges, which shall be final and binding with respect to all issues relating to this contest.
3. Prize is not transferable and no cash alternative or prize substitution is available. Instructables and contest co-sponsors reserve the right to substitute a similar prize of equal or greater value if the prize listed is unavailable for any reason. All potential winners are subject to verification at the discretion of Instructables and contest co-sponsors.
4. Winner agrees that prizes are being provided "as is", and Instructables and contest co-sponsors make no warranty, representation or guarantee regarding the prize, including but not limited to its quality, condition, merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
5. Instructables and contest co-sponsors are not responsible for problems including (but not limited to) damaged, incorrect, inaccurate, lost, delayed, or defective entries, or for injury or damage to any computer resulting from participation in this contest. Entries that have been tampered with or altered are void.
6. Instructables reserves the right to modify, cancel, postpone or end the contest at any time as necessary, at its sole discretion, or to disqualify any participant or winner, at its sole discretion, deemed to have cheated, destroyed, obstructed, or otherwise acted illegally or in bad faith in relation to this contest.
7. Instructables reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds, in its sole discretion, to be in violation of the Terms of Service; to be acting in violation of these Official Rules; to be acting in a unethical or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person.
8. By submitting an entry and entering this contest, you represent and warrant that: you are over the age of 18, or entering with the knowledge and permission of your parent or guardian (subject to verification), and that the entry does not contain or incorporate the intellectual property and/or confidential information of any third party.
9. By submitting an entry and entering this contest, you hereby grant Instructables a perpetual, irrevocable, sublicenseable, worldwide, royalty free right to publish and distribute your entry for their promotional purposes.
10. Governing Law: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of the official rules, or the rights of entrants, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with, the substance laws of the State of California and any applicable laws and regulations of the United States.