Intro: 12V to 220V Inverter Using IR2153 With Casing
In this tutorial we will show you how to make simple IC based inverter circuit. You can watch the video which is embedded in this step for construction, parts list, circuit diagram & testing or you can continue reading the post for further details.
The IC we are using is IR2153 which is a self oscillating half bridge driver & we will also be using MOSFET's for the construction of the circuit
Step 1: Parts List
Here are list of parts which are required to create this project
- 2 * IRFZ44 - https://goo.gl/c3vUqJ
- 2 * Heat Sink - https://goo.gl/piLzht
- 1 * IR2153 - http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/7yrznQF
- 1 * Transformer 12-0-12v to 220v, 3amp - https://amzn.to/2HWjsZW
- 1 * Lead acid Battery - https://amzn.to/2Hlpnen
- 1 * 10k Trimmer - https://goo.gl/jxND6F
- 1 * 1N4007 - https://goo.gl/51GNFz
- 1 * RED Led - https://goo.gl/DZjnGk
- 2 * Male & Female Banana Connector - https://goo.gl/P1ZGc9
- 2 * Crimp Connector - https://goo.gl/CFVZyc
- 1 * 2 & 3 Pin Terminal Block - https://goo.gl/GAi7Ac
- 1 * 8 Pin IC Base - https://goo.gl/ZfRVxy
- 1 * Male & Female Wall Mount plug
- 1 * Big & Small Switch - https://goo.gl/v8a8BB
- 1 * Bulb Holder
- 3 * 1K Ohm
- 2 * 22, 22k Ohm
- 1 * 470uF/25V, 47uF/25v
- 1 * 0.22uF, 0.01uF Ceramic capacitor
Step 2: Fabricating PCB
Now create the PCB using the circuit diagram shared
You can create a PCB on a perf board or order a professional PCB. I have shared circuit diagram for both.
If you want to order the professional PCB, you can download the Gerber files by Clicking Here or create your own layout design.The Gerber files which i shared for download is create using KiCAD & you can order your PCB through JLCPCB by clicking here, this is where i ordered my PCB using the same Gerber files for my inverter.
Step 3: Creating Casing
Now take a container and make all the holes require to mount the input & output components. Make sure you choose container which is big & strong to hold the circuit & the transformer.
For Battery Inputs i am using Banana Connectors
For Inverter Output i am using 3 Pin Wall Mount Plug
So according to your connectors make the holes
Step 4: Assembly & Testing
Now assemble all the components according to the block diagram shared. Once everything is assembled connect it to the battery & turn on the switch to power your Light Bulb using the inverter.
For testing video you watch the video embedded in the first step.
This project is based on IC IR2153 which is a self oscillating half bridge driver with a front end oscillator similar to that of 555 timer. You can also control the oscillation using a trimmer or pot connected to PIN 2 of the IC. One of the advantage of using this IC is that it protects your battery from over discharging. This is achieved when the Pin 3 of the IC gets supplied with a low voltage it disables the gate outputs protecting the battery. The minimum voltage which can be supplied is between 9 to 10 volts, anything below you wont get any outputs.
The MOSFETs are used to drive the output powers.The transformer is used in a reverse configuration to get 220 to 240v output.
The output of the inverter depends on three factors
1. Transformer : Higher the rating higher power but this largely depends on the next factor
2. Power Supply : The output largely depends on the power supplied. Please do not expect to get high outputs from low supply. Also please note the ampere rating of your supply should be equal to or less then your transformer rating or else you will end up with a fried transformer.
3. MOSFET : Adding more MOSFETs gives you powerful inverter
By using two MOSFETS, 12-0-12v, 3 Amp Transformer & 12v, 1.3Ah Battery you can get around 30 to 50 watt output
Thank you for reading
For more such contents you can subscribe to our YouTube channel by clicking here