Just download, print, and grow!
My goal is the empower and educate people to grow their own food ... one 3d print at a time! With this modular hydroponic system, you can do just that. The modules are interlocking, so it can be expanded and contracted very easily. The relatively small size of the modules also allows for easy shipment, opening up the possibility for schools, organizations, and individuals to crowdsource a garden/farm.
I'm using the system myself and you can view my progress on Instagram @archipelagourbanfarms or Youtube. Please like, follow, subscribe and spread the word. Let me know if you have any questions! More iterations, upgrades, add-ons to come!
Today we have access to highly advanced technologies. But our social and economic system has not kept up with our technological capabilities that could easily create a world of abundance, free of servitude and debt. - Jaques Fresco
Step 1: Download and Print .stl Files
Either print the .stl files below or send the files to a printer using 3dhubs to print for you.
Lid.stl.stl (at 20% infill)
NewReservoir.stl (at 20% infill)
Module.stl x 3 (meaning print three (3) of these at 20% infill)
vaselid_v5.stl (at 100% infill)
I printed in white because I like the look of it. You can print in any color, just make sure it's opaque.
1 1/4 inch hole in the middle of the lid using a hole saw.
Assemble the reservoir and module and drill 6 small holes equidistant and on the edge of the reservoir to allow the nutrient water to soak the net cups below. See video.
Step 2: Buy Equipment and Supplies
Purchase all the items on this list:
- Reservoir: IKEA MUSKOT Vase 7 1/2" - $9.99 - https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...
- 2-inch net cups - $9.95 - https://amzn.to/2DxGpBWMedium:
- 1.5 inch Rockwool Cubes - $8.30 - https://amzn.to/2DxGpBWMedium:
- Kasa Smart Plug - $16.98 - https://amzn.to/2DxGpBWMedium:
- VicTsing 80 GPH - $7.99 - https://amzn.to/2DxGpBWMedium:
- TotalPond Vinyl Tubing, 1/2 inch - $8.97 - https://amzn.to/2DxGpBWMedium:
- Nutrients - General Hydroponics 3 Part System - $33.95 - https://amzn.to/2DxGpBWMedium:
- PH Control - General Hydroponics pH Control Kit - $14.95 - https://amzn.to/2DxGpBWMedium:
- Seeds - I suggest starting with a leafy green. Basil, spinach,and arugula are all very resiliant, versatile, and tasty. - https://www.rareseeds.com/
Step 3: Start the Seeds
- Place the rockwool cubes in the net cups.
- Soak in water.
- Select seed.
- Place two seeds in each Rockwool Cube about two centimeters deep.
- Place seeded netcups in shade. Wait 3 days.
- After the seeds sprout and are about half an inch long, place net cups in the modular hydroponic system.
- Place system in sunny spot and turn on.
Step 4: Finish 3D Printed Parts
- Use a 1 1/4" hole saw to drill a hole in the middle of the reservoir lid.
- Sand the edge of the hole with sandpaper.
- Use a 5/32" drill bit to drill holes inside the reservoir.
- Drill holes above each net cup placement and inside the overflow hole.
Step 5: Setup Plumbing
- Connect the tubing to the pump.
- Place pump at bottom of the vase.
- Place lid on vase.
- Snake tubing and power cord through one of the holes of a module and place module on lid.
- Measure tubing and cut giving enough length for tubing to reach the top reservoir. (keep in mind pump listed within this Instructable only has enough lift to rise above 5 modules).
- Place top of tubing inside the reservoir, ensuring nutrient water reaches outer circle.
Step 6: Setup Timer
- Download the Kasa App.
- Connect the Kasa App to the Wifi Smart Plug.
- Add 15 minute on/off intervals on App at: 7:00 a.m., 10:00 a.m., 12:00 p.m., 3:00 p.m., 6:00 p.m., and 9:00p.m.
- Plug wifi smart plug into outlet.
- Make sure smart plug is off.
- When you're ready to start growing, plug pump into the smart plug.
- Turn smart plug on and ensure alignment is correct by ensuring all rockwool cubes are being soaked by the nutrient water.
- Manually turn smart plug off and turn on the previously set timer setting on the Kasa App.
Step 7: Add Water and Nutrients
- Add water to vase.
- Add nutrients to water using the instructions on the back of any General Hydroponics bottle.
Step 8: Print More Modules
Print more modules and expand your garden into a farm!!! Let me know if you have any questions. Be sure to subscribe as I will be refining the this Instructable and the system.
This is an entry in the