Intro: Apple Pie Bites on a Stick
I'm all about the comfort food, and I have a crazy sweet tooth. So, naturally, I knew I'd have to make a dessert on a stick... and what's more comforting than a nice bite of apple pie?
Step 1: Ingredients
- 1 large red delicious apple, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/8 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves, or all-spice
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 package of refrigerated crescent roll pastry (i.e. Pillsbury)
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 tsp water or milk
Step 2: The Filling
1. Melt butter in a heavy bottomed sauce pan over medium heat.
2. Once butter is melted, add in brown sugar, corn starch and the spices. Mix well, until thoroughly combined
3. Add the chopped apple to the sauce pan, mix well. Continue cooking over medium heat (keeping mixture on a low simmer) until the apples are tender; roughly 5-6minutes.
4. Remove from heat, allow to cool.
5. Work on preparing your pastry for the filling.
Step 3: The Pastry
1. Remove the crescent roll dough from the packaging. With a sharp knife, slice dough log into 10 pieces of equal size.
2. Dust your work surface with flour and, one dough section at a time, roll pieces into a flat disc. (Note: When rolling into a disc, ensure that the center of the disc is thicker than the perimeter -- as you do not want the perimeter to be "bulky" once you begin forming the apple pie bites).
3. Once all dough sections are rolled-out, prepare to begin assembling the pie bites.
Step 4: The Assembly
1. Spread a thin layer of softened cream cheese onto a dough disc, place a heaping tsp of your filling into the center of the dough disc.
2. Gather up the edges (Note: wetting your fingertips may help the dough edges gather, and stay together more easily).
3. Place on a greased baking sheet, and repeat steps 1&2 with the remainder of the dough discs.
Step 5: The Finishing Touches and the Bake
1. Set oven to 350degrees.
2. Prepare Topping: Melt 1 tbsp butter, set aside. In a separate bowl, combine sugars and cinnamon.
3. Using a pastry brush, brush the tops of the assembled apple pie bites with the melted butter.
4. Dip the tops of the apple pie bites in the cinnamon+sugar mixture; place pie-bites back on prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake for 15-17minutes, or until the pie balls are golden brown.
6. Remove from oven and set on cooling rack, allowing the pie-bites to cool completely.
Step 6: Presentation
Completely optional, but adding a nice touch to the cute apple pie dessert, is the icing drizzle.
1. Add water, 1 tbsp at a time, to the confectioner's sugar. Mix well, until a thick paste forms.
2. Drizzle icing over-top of the cooled apple pie bites.
3. Skewer the pie-bites and serve.
(Note: Best if served on the same day as it was baked)