Introduction: Astronaut Costume
I love space. So I decided to make a space suit** for halloween. It was super fun to make, and relatively inexpensive.
I was able to make it out of things I had lying around from old projects. I imagine that if any maker-type wants to put this together, that already has a stock of supplies will only have to spend 20 or so dollars to complete this project.
**NOTE: NOT FOR ACTUAL USE IN OUTER-SPACE
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Gather Materials
- Wood glue
- Really round balloon (available at party stores)
- Phonebook, or any other abundant amount of thin scrap paper
- Wood filler or filler spray paint
- 9V Battery
- 9V Battery Clip
- Hot Glue Sticks
- White Acrylic Paint
- Silver Spray Paint
For Space Suit:
- Stir Stick
- Razor Blade
- Sand Paper (80 Grit and 150 Grit)
- Soldering Iron
- Wire Snips
- Wire Strippers
- Paint Brush
- Sewing Machine or serger (helpful tool, but not necessary if you're crafty enough :D)
- Glue Gun
The hardest thing to find for this project was a phonebook, but newspapers would probably work great too. The links above are affiliate links, but all funds raised go right back into materials and tools for me to keep posting content like this project - thanks for your support!
Step 2: Blow Up Balloon, Mix Glue, and Cut Strips.
If you are using wood glue, you can use a 1:1 ration of water to glue, and coat your paper strips with them before you apply them to the balloon.
Step 3: Paper Mache!
There are lots of really good Instructables on how to paper mache, after a little research I believed I was ready to begin. I dipped each strip into my gluey water and then applied it to the balloon. I think I ended up applying six layers of paper, and it took....... a long time.
When I was done applying the strips, I made a slightly thicker glue/water solution and brushed it over the entire surface of the sphere.
Then, walk away. This guy took two days to dry.
Using a razorblade, I pierced the balloon. I cut a hole big enough for my head, and then separated the balloon from the paper.i
Step 5: Fill, Sand, and Paint!
After the helmet had been fit, I had to remove some of the large wrinkles from the sphere - so I used some wood filler! I sanded the entire sphere with 80 grit sandpaper so that the wood-filler would bond to the sphere.
Again, wearing gloves, I squeezed the wood filler from the tube and smoothed it into the cracks. It took about two hours to dry.
I then re-sanded the entire helmet with 150 grit sand paper.
Step 6: Painting and Cutting.
I painted the outside of the helmet with white acrylic paint. It took about 30 minutes to dry.
I then traced out a basic shape around the sphere that would be the helmet's opening. Using the razor blade, I cut the opening out.
Using some bailing wire, and some masking tape, I reinforced the cut edge of the helmet, so that it wouldn't slump on my head. I then sprayed the inside of the sphere with silver spray paint.
Step 7: Add LEDs to the Helmet.
I plugged in the hot glue gun, and the soldering iron.
I soldered 4 LEDs to eachother, in preparation to make parralel series that could be powered by a 9V battery. Then, I glued down the LED series, and ran wires all through the helmet to one PCB.
I plugged in a 9V battery, and it worked! Onto the suit!
Step 8: The Suit!
This part is pretty fun. It's great because I was able to imagine whatever I wanted to put on to the suit. I based it of a really big painters suit that was about 8 bucks from the hardware store.
I made up some elbow and knee patches out of silver lame and interfacing, making rippled waves with the sewing machine, then cleaning up the edges with a serger. I had to open the legs and the arms of the suit to sew down the patches.
Step 9: Go to Space.
I realized that the more bulky this suit looked, and the more panels I added the more authentic it seemed. I want to grow the costume to be appropriate for other festivals and events where I could sport an astronaut costume.
I paired the suit with my super busted snowboard boots, and they looked great. The paper suits are a bit flimsy, but a great base for this costume.
Finalist in the
Autodesk Employee Halloween Contest
Participated in the
Halloween Epic Costumes Contest