The theme is to make a prototype that can analyse and identify two different shapes and display its volume. Here we choose to go with Cube and Cylinder as two different shapes. It can detect shapes, analyze and calculate volume by itself.
The system contain 2 ultrasonic sensor, one is for finding height and other is for finding width. The lcd module show the volume of the shape . The top sensor is placed 30cm above the base plane. Initially we get 30cm, when we place an objects we get the 30-X reading (X = height of the object ), from this we can find height of the object. Similarly we place the side sensor 20cm from the left plane so we can find the width of the object. From the readings we can find the volume of the objects by the corresponding equations
Step 1: Components Required
Here the Components that you will Require :
1. An Arduino uno.
2. Two ultrasonic sensor hc-sr04
3. LCD Display
4. 10k ohm potentiometer
5. Breadboard and wires
-----For prototyping -----
- Form board / cardboard
- glue gun
Step 2: Connections
Ultrasonic Sensor HC-SR04 Connections
The HC-SR04 Ultrasonic Module has 4 pins, Ground, VCC, Trig and Echo. The Ground and the VCC pins of the module needs to be connected to the Ground and the 5 volts pins on the Arduino Board respectively and the trig and echo pins to any Digital I/O pin on the Arduino Board.
- The VCC & GND of both Ultrasonic Sensors are connected to 5V and Ground pin of arduino respectively.
- The Top Sensors (used for finding height) Trig pin connect to the Arduino Board Digital I/O 8 th pin
- The Top Sensors (used for finding height) Echo pin connect to the Arduino Board Digital I/O 9 th pin
- The side Sensors (used for finding width) Trig pin connect to the Arduino Board Digital I/O 10 th pin
- The side Sensors (used for finding width) Echo pin connect to the Arduino Board Digital I/O 13 th pin
LCD Display Connection
Before wiring the LCD screen to your Arduino or Genuino board we suggest to solder a pin header strip to the 14 (or 16) pin count connector of the LCD screen.To wire your LCD screen to your board, connect the following pins:
- LCD RS pin to digital pin 12
- LCD Enable pin to digital pin 11
- LCD D4 pin to digital pin 5
- LCD D5 pin to digital pin 4
- LCD D6 pin to digital pin 3
- LCD D7 pin to digital pin 2
- Additionally, wire a 10k pot to +5V and GND, with it's wiper (output) to LCD screens VO pin (pin3). A 220 ohm resistor is used to power the backlight of the display, usually on pin 15 and 16 of the LCD connector
make a frame for the ultrasonic sensor ,like above image