How to make these amazingly awesome cracked marbles.
All you need:
- Some kids playing marbles
- Ice water
- An oven
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Baking Those Marbles
Simply take your standard every day kids playing marble.
I stumbled across the box of them i had as a kid...and subsequently organised them by colour.
- Preheat your oven to around 200 degrees celsius.
- Put marbles into oven.
- Wait 20 minutes (roughly, you may find you need longer or less time depending on your oven)
- Prepare bowl of water, in a plastic bowl! and a bit before taking marbles out throw in a handful or two of ice cubes
*Be SUPER careful, some marbles will probably crack as the act of being so hot to so cold causes some of the weaker ones to break* This can potentially go flying and is therefore a danger to the eyes* (Never happened to me but you just don't know)
- Pour all marbles into ice water
- Listen to that sweet crackle
Step 2: All Done!
Carefully scoop them out, they will be more fragile so if you drop one on a hard floor it will smash to pieces, but aside from weak ones they aren't too bad.
Step 3: Now Go Forth!
And figure out what you can do with them
Participated in the
Three Ingredient Challenge