I have Air Rifles and don't have the funds to buy a higher end scope with finger adjustable turrets which can be upwards from $80. So I decided to convert my coin style turrets for under $8 without having to use glue/epoxy. There are people out there who epoxy coins and washers into the coin slots and I don't recommend that at all. My way can be done without damaging or making any permanent changes to the scope itself.
Step 1: Tools and Supplies
To begin you will need very simple tools that most households alread have:
2) Drill bit set
3) Vice grip or clamps
4) A file
1) potentiometres- $2 each from radioshack
2) Washer that fits into the turret cap - 99 cents a bag (per 5)
3) Knob heads - $2 from radioshack (per 2)
4) Key rings - less than a few cents each (OPTIONAL)
Step 2: Take Apart the Potentiometres
You will first need to disassemble the potentiometres. Most potentiometres can be taken apart by separating the 4 legs that are bent over the adjuster knob. Some higher end potentiometres are set by screws. potentiometres are perfect because they are infinitely rotatable and already have a flathead screwdriver like shape.
Step 3: File Down the Potentiometers
This step is purely optional depending on your scope turrets. The head of the potentiometres must be able to fit into the turret coin slots. So for some scopes, the heads already fit perfectly while some others need a little adjustments. So take your file and file it down evenly on both sides. Check the pictures for what I mean by the head if you are unsure.
Do this for both potentiometer heads.
Step 4: Prep the Turret Caps
This step is the most important step out of this whole ible. These coin style turrets are precisely centered and so does the hole you will be drilling. I made the mistake of eyeballing and hand marking the turret caps. I found that the easier way was to drop a perfect fitting washer in and using it as a guide. I ruined one set of turrets and threw it onto my other scope. I will be fixing them later with an update in case anyone messed up like me.
Check the fittings and make sure it your turrets are 360 adjustable. If you are feeling any resistance, it means either your potentiometre heads were not filed evenly on both sides, OR you made the mistake I did and the holes in the turret caps are not centred.
I found that when adding the potentiometre knob to the turret cap, the potentiometre would bind the turrets. So I used a key ring to act as a locking washer and also a spacer to gap the knobs.
Step 6: Slap It All Together and Have Fun Sighting Your Fully Adjustable Scope (WITHOUT a COIN!!!)
Its time to put everything together and tighten it all up. The knob heads I used were the cheapest I could find at radioshack. Luckily the heads have a skirt and a single line on them. Once I zero in my scope I will take off the heads and readjust so the line faces zero.
Since its dark out, cold out, and windy as heck. I decided to zero in using a bore-sight at 10 yards. The turrets work great with the new mod and it only took about half an hour. Saved a lot of money too because I decided not to buy another scope since this is now finger adjustable. I will get on fixing the other turret caps at a later date.
I hope you guys enjoyed my first ever ible!