Make homemade chicken nuggets in any shape you like!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Things You Will Need
1 Meat Grinder
1 large cutting board
You favorite cookie cutters (optional)
(you can also check out how to make your own shaped cutters here and/or here)
Boneless skinless chicken breasts
(you can use ground chicken instead, if you lack the grinder or the motivation)
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
2 TBSP Corn Meal
Additional seasoning if desired (For my personal recipe, see step 4)
Step 2: Preping the Meat
Note : If you are using ground chicken instead of full chicken breasts, skip to part 4 of this step
1. Remove all fat ,gristle, and "imperfections" from the chicken breasts.
2. Cut the cleaned meat into small cubes.
3. Grind the cubes thoroughly with the meat grinder.
4. Season the meat to your liking (This is optional, I usually leave it plain)
5a. (Cookie Cutter Method) Flatten the chicken onto the cutting board until it is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch
thick, then place in freezer for about an hour or until meat has frozen.
5b (Hand Shaping Method) Mold chunks of meat into the size and shape of your choice 1/2 to 3/4
inch thick. Place onto wax paper, then put into freezer until frozen. (if
you choose to go with the hand Shaping method, you can skip the
next step entirely.)
Step 3: Cutting the Meat
1. Remove chicken from freezer.
2. Press cookie cutter into one of the corners of the chicken.
3. Use a butter knife to clean away the meat around the cookie cutter, then use it like a spatula to
loosen the meat from the cutting board
4. place the meat filled cookie cutter on wax paper, then gently press the meat until it comes free
5. repeat this step until there is only the "excess" meat left.
6. you can either us the excess meat to make hand shaped nuggets, or you can re-flatten, re-freeze,
7. after all the meat is shaped the way you want it, place back in freezer to make sure that all the meat
is still fully frozen.
Note: once the meat is fully frozen, you can start the next step, or you can place the meat shapes
is a Ziplock bag for future use.( I like to make a lot at once so i can have them ready
Step 4: Preping the Breading
Note: this recipe will bread about 8-10 large nuggets, If you plan on making more, you will need to do
1. In medium container, mix: 1 cup Flour
2 TBSP Corn meal
(additional seasonings Optional)
(My Recipe also includes:) 1 TBSP New Orleans Cajun Seasoning
1 tsp Garlic powder
1 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
2. in a second medium container, mix: 1 cup of milk
Step 5: Cooking Time!
1. Bring 2 cups of cooking oil to a medium/high heat in a medium sized cooking pan.
2. Remove Frozen chicken from freezer and place pieces into the flower mixture for a light coat.
(this helps everything to stick very nicely).
3. Place the meat shapes into the egg mixture until coated thoroughly.
4. Then place the soaked pieces into the flower mixture until all wet areas are covered
5. repeat instructions 3 and 4 again until pieces are double coated, then place into cooking oil.
6. Cook until they are golden brown.
7. Place on paper towel to remove excess grease, Then let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Note: any egg & flower mix that is left over can be mixed together to make a batter that you can save
for future use.
Step 6: Never Eat Fast Food Nuggets Again!
I made these from scratch so I know exactly what I'm eating.
If you choose to eat at one of the fast food places, chances are you nuggets are not made entirely out
of chicken. Just Food for thought, ya know.
Participated in the