"Paperclips and binder clips leave creases on my paper."
"Post-its loose its stickiness; So NOT eco-friendly."
"I lose my bookmark all the time."
Well, my friends here's the solution! Magnetic bookmarks come in handy when you want to keep your documents crease-free and when you want to jazz up your office accessories.
These cute and eco-friendly bookmarks also make a great gift for your book-loving friends.
Let's get right into it!
Step 1: Materials
All these materials can be found at your local craft store.
- Cardstock paper (various). (I'm using patterned cardstock paper. Plain white cardstock paper will do just fine.)
- Self-adhesive magnetic tape (1 roll). (I'm using magnetic tape in roll form.)
- Clear tape (I'm using packaging tape.)
- Ruler (optional)
Step 2: Cutting the Magnets
1. Cut a piece of magnet tape. (For example, the magnet tape above is about 1.5 inches/3.81 cm.)
2. Place the first piece of magnet tape onto the magnet roll.
3. Cut a second magnet piece using the edge of the first magnet piece as guidance. Pro Tip: Make sure the magnets are the same size.
Step 3: Cutting the Bookmark
1. Take one of your magnet pieces and trace it onto the cardstock paper vertically. Pro Tip: Align the magnet with the edge of the cardstock paper. That way you don't have to cut an extra time.
2. Leave about a .25 in./.635 cm. space below your first tracing of the magnet. Eyeballing is fine.
3. Slide the magnet below the .25 in./.635 cm. space.
4. Trace the magnet again. Make sure that the rectangular boxes on either side of the space is equal.
5. Cut out the rectangular bookmark base that you traced.
Step 4: Reinforcing the Bookmark Clip
1. Flip the cardstock paper over so that the patterned side is down.
2. Pull out enough tape to cover the patterned side of the cardstock paper.
3. Lay the cardstock paper on the tape.
4. Cut off the extra tape hanging off the sides of the cardstock paper.
5. Fold the cardstock paper along the lines that you made in the middle of the paper.
Step 5: Assembling the Magnets and the Bookmark
1. Carefully remove the corner of the protective liner that is on the magnet..
2. Match the corner of the magnet to the corner of the cardstock paper. Pro Tip: Do not take the protective liner off all the way. Fold over a corner and align the magnet tape with the edge of the cardstock paper. Take your time, and slowly remove the protective liner while sticking on the cardstock paper.
3. Slowly remove the paper while smoothing the magnet onto the cardstock paper.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 on the other side of the cardstock with the second piece of magnet.
Step 6: Extra Reinforcement
1. For extra reinforcement, take a small piece of tape and cover the space where the bookmark will fold.
Step 7: Finale: Helpful Tips
Voila! And your magnetic bookmark clips are now complete!
Here are some extra tips:
- Cut a smaller magnet to make "bookmarks." They can hold up to 2-3 pages. Cut a larger magnet to make "paperclips." They can hold up to 12 pages.
- Use patterned cardstock paper if you don't have time to decorate your bookmark.
- Use plain white cardstock paper if you want to decorate your magnetic clips with quotes/doodles.
Thank you and good luck!
SP Riley made it!