Are you looking for a nice way to pack some spare paracord for your next camping trip? Just looking for a fresh way to spruce up your keys? Either way this paracord keychain is perfect for you!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Materials
For this project you will need:
- 1 keyring ( The keyring I used is 1 1/4 in. in diameter. That's the size that I found to be easiest for me. You may need to experiment with different sizes to find the size that is easiest for you.)
- 5 ft. of paracord ( I use type 550 paracord but any will work. If you plan to go camping you should use type 550 paracord also though.)
- A hot glue gun
- 1-2 rubber bands
- A pair of scissors
- A ruler
Step 2: Setup
- Use your hot glue gun to glue the edges of the paracord so that the inner strings won't fall out while weaving
- Take the whole length of paracord and fold it in half.
- Now take the fold, and thread it through the keychain, making a small loop.
- Next, put the loose ends of the paracord through the loop you just made and pull it tight.
Step 3: The Weave
- Next, flip the whole paracord and keyring upside down.
- Now line up your paracord with your ruler with the bottom of the ruler at the top of the keyring and wrap around your rubber bands at the 4 1/2 in. mark
- Now, run Cord A under the 2 center cords making sure it goes over Cord B and making a loop.
- Next, take Cord B over the 2 centers cords and through the loop you just made. Then pull both cords tight.
- Repeat steps 3 & 4 until you get about halfway down on the center cords. Then go to the next step.(If you start running out of paracord, start evenly sliding down your weaves on the center cords until you can continue weaving without running out of paracord prematurely.)
- Cut off the rubber bands and slide up the weaves you've made (you may need to pull down both cords after this step.
- Continue weaving until you get to the bottom of the center cords.
Step 4: Finishing
- Cut off any remaining paracord to about 1 cm.
- Hot glue the now remaining paracord to the bottom of the keychain, with one cord on each side of the keychain.
- Boom! You're finished! Now go in style with your new paracord keychain.