Hello everyone! I have had MANY questions about how I helped make my cosplay partner's Raven accessories. Therefore I have decided to do a quick video tutorial explaining the process of making Raven's belt, brooch and hand gems. Here are the supplies you will need...
- Clear Cast Resin (Floral Resin or Amazing brands work well)
- White Casting Resin (Amazing brand is my favorite)
- Flowering Cups (they can be found in the baking or candy section at JoAnn's fabric)
- Gold Paint (Spray or Acrylic)
- Red Nail Polish (I prefer the kind that sparkles)
- Semi Circle Candy Mold (from Amazon)
- A metal ring belt (you can find these on Amazon)
- Adhesive (Super Glue, Hot Glue OR Contact Cement)
- OPTIONAL: Liquid Fabric Dye
This process will take 3 days if you are using the Clear Cast Resin for the gems OR 1 day if you choose to go with the white resin instead. Let's get started!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Creating the Accessories and Belt
Here is a break down of the steps required for making the belt...
- Obtain a mold for your gems (flexible candy mold OR custom rubber mold preferred).
- Mix one part hardener to one part resin for your gems.
- Pour mix into mold.
- NOTE: If you are using the Clear Cast Resin you MUST wait 24-32 hours before removing your gems.
- While you wait for your gems to set grab one of your flowering cups OR your custom gem setting mold.
- Mix one part white casting resin to one part hardener and pour your resin into the gem setting mold.
- Allow the resin to harden completely (it will turn white) and cool a bit before removing from the mold.
- Do this twice more for the hand gems.
- Now grab your belt and, if it is not gold, paint it gold.
- Please allow the paint to set completely before attaching the resin to it.
- Take your dry belt and place it next to your gem setting mold.
- Mix your resin and pour it into the mold.
- Now take one rung/ring of the belt and place it inside the resin (make sure it is completely submerged).
- Once the resin has turned white and cooled a bit you can remove the gem setting from its mold and you have your first belt gem setting!
- Repeat that step three more times (or as many as preferred) until your rings are attached to the gem settings.
- Now paint your belt gold once more and seal it with your preferred sealant (lacquer, mod podge, wood glue, etc.)
- If your gems are set, remove them from their molds.
- Paint them with nail polish (or your preferred paint) to get them the right hue/color and have them shine.
- Once dry, attach them to the settings with one of the following adhesives: High Temp Hot Glue, Super Glue OR Contact Cement.
- Allow the adhesive to dry for 4-6 hours.
- Test the fit and your belt/brooch/hand gems are complete!
NOTE: The brooch and hand gems can be attached to any costume using one of the following:
- Glued on magnets
- Glued on pins
- Glued on Industrial Strength Velcro
Step 2: Completed Product
Here is the result of your completed product! If you have any questions please feel free to ask them below. Happy crafting!
Participated in the
Halloween Props Contest 2016