DeadM0rty

Introduction: DeadM0rty

"Moooorty, check out this legally safe knock off of some DJ's head I made."

I based this project off of other projects such as the DeadMau5 head and spent a good amount of time planning and modeling this head in Blender. I based Morty's head off of the face in "Goodbye Moonmen" and "Mascot Morty" from the video game.

Step 1: Cut Head and Mouth Holes

I first cut the head hole by placing my head inside a pot and using said pot to trace an outline around the base of the globe. I then used an angle grinder to cut the base to the specified size and sanded off all the rough edges. For the mouth hole I used a sharpie to draw out an opening and then used the angle grinder to cut open a hole.

Step 2: Painting or Cloth

I then went outside to spray paint the rest of the head using a tannish color to match Morty's skin color. After setting the head to dry, I sprayed a coat of glossy acrylic sealer on the head to keep the paint on.

"Ugh Morty, I reeeally messed up here"

Since I messed up the paint job on Morty's head by spraying another coat of paint, I decided the best way to cover the blemish is by wrapping the head in cloth and repainting it. This results in more of a Mascot Morty head rather than the chrome finish. Anyways, to attach cloth to head I recommend using spray adhesive to attach the cloth on the head by stretching out the fabric so that there are no overtly visible wrinkles.

Step 3: Mesh and Foam

I cut out some mesh and sprayed some glue inside the head to make it stick and then used some foam sticky to outline the neck. In the end I scrapped the mesh and went straight for opaque plexiglass that I molded by heating it up to 290 F and pressing against part of the head.

Step 4: Morty's Hair

"Look at the big brain on Morty"

Now for one of the more difficult parts of this project. To make Morty's hair I followed the 3D model of Morty's head and attached foam sticky layers to outline his hair. I stacked around three layers of foam sticky layers to make his hair more pronounced. I then used some epoxy to attach the foam sticky to the head since the curves in his hair outline make it difficult to stay on. I then used some "Great Stuff" foam spray to make the filling of his hair which kinda looks like a big brain. I then sanded the dried foam to shaped it to the rest of his head and later applied cloth onto the head using spray adhesive.

Step 5: Fans and Head Mount

I cut out a square hole for a 12v computer fan that does a good job of keeping me cool and spliced some of the wires so it goes into a battery. This battery works well in that it gives around a whole night's worth of power to the lights and fans with a single charge. Afterwards I used some great stuff and cut the construction helmet accordingly to fit the head. The helmet does a good job of keeping the head steady and the great stuff foam keeps it in place.

Step 6: Electronics and Final Product

"Eyes Morty, Eyes"

I soldered some of these leds together to make the eyes in a spiral fashion to do some cool light tricks. I also added a mouth led part but decided to ditch it since it didn't look as good. Overall this project took a good 2 weeks and cost around $100 for everything.

Heroes and Villains Contest

Participated in the
Heroes and Villains Contest

Summer Fun Contest 2016

Participated in the
Summer Fun Contest 2016

Be the First to Share

    Recommendations

    • Mason Jar Speed Challenge

      Mason Jar Speed Challenge
    • Pumpkin Challenge

      Pumpkin Challenge
    • Halloween Contest

      Halloween Contest

    Discussions

    0
    seamster
    seamster

    4 years ago

    Ha! Very cool and nicely done! :)