What could be better than pizza? Deep fried Mini Calzone balls with fluffy, yet crispy donut-like breading, That's what.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Things You Will Need
Bacon (I used Turkey Bacon)
Pepperoni (I used Turkey Pepperoni)
Pizza of spaghetti sauce
Cheese ( I used Mozzarella)
1 1/2 cups flower
1/2 (7g package) of dry active yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1 TBSP sugar
1/2 cup warm water
1 TBSP oil (I use coconut oil)
Note: This is just a basic pizza dough recipe. you can either get creative with your own dough ideas or you can try the one I use here: Honey Chipotle Pizza Dough (If you use this recipe,only use half the ingredients, unless you plan on making a lot)
Step 2: Prep Work
1. Cut bacon into small pieces and cook thoroughly.
2. Slice pepperoni into small pieces
3. Make you Dough:
1.Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
2.Add wet ingredients and stir until mixture is thick and even
3.Let dough sit for one hour so it can rise.
Step 3: Assembly
1. Flour your work surface thoroughly. ( i use a large cutting board)
2. With floured hands, grab a "golf ball sized" amount of dough and flatten it is about 1/8 inch thick.
The flattened dough should be about the diameter of a softball. Sprinkle on more flour if needed
to keep from sticking.
3. Spread 1 TBSP or so of pizza sauce in the center of the dough. Make sure to leave a lip of
unsauced dough around the outer edge so you will be able to seal the ball without any mess.
4. In a small bowl (or in your hand), smash together 1/4 cup Shredded cheese, 2 TBSP bacon,
2 TBSP pepperoni, then form them into a ball.
5. Place cheese ball in the center of the dough and fold one side of the dough on top of the Ball.
6. In a circular motion fold up all the sides of the dough until it is completely covering the cheese ball
7. Lightly press the folds together to seal the dough together.
8. Place in freezer for at least 1 hour
9. Cook in oil on medium/high heat until golden brown
10. Place on paper plate to remove excess grease before serving
Participated in the
Fried Food Contest