The Netherlands are famous for Tulips, Stroopwafels, mills, but also for the rainy weather!
Dutch people don't seems that worried though and walking on the streets you suddenly see a popping out of colourful umbrellas.
Certainly for an Italian spirit like me at the beginning was a bit of a shock but It didn't take very long for me to realised the potential of it.
During these tutorial I will guide you throw the realisation of a swimming short starting from a broken umbrella.
Step 1: FIND a BROKEN UMBRELLA
As I said in the Netherlands it Is pretty easy to find umbrellas on the floor but I'm sure it is possible quite everywhere, consider that:
- every umbrellas are good for these (may be not the transparent one).
- from each umbrella you can make 1 swimming short!
- choosing the right umbrella means choosing the pattern of your future swimming shorts.
So let's get started!!
Step 2: CLEANING
Remove all the metallic components and wash the fabric
Step 3: PATTERN MAKING
There are many ways to make a pattern.
My suggestion is to take same an old shorts that still fits you in size and mark the outline as template.
below a valid example:
Step 4: LAYOUT
- Divide the octagon in the middle in order to work on the right and Left side of your shorts separately.
- position the pattern on the fabric according to the drawing you want to obtain (I made a sketch first just to have an idea)
- mark the outline of the pattern and start cutting.
And don't worry umbrella's fabric don't frays!
Step 5: SEW
After created all the pieces we start sewing them together.
We join in a chronological way the front, the back and just after the inseam.
But before sewing the side we have to make the pockets!
Step 6: POCKET
Once again we are going to cut out the pattern of a pocket from the left over of the umbrella.
- remember to integrate the velcro closure typical of the umbrella, it will be useful to wrap your swimming shorts after!
Step 7: STRING
I really wanted to use only components taken from the umbrella but I didn't make it for the string.
From the moment I break in the rule I allowed you, than, to use an elastic band if you prefer!
Step 8: Enjoy!
the aim of project is to recycled old and broken umbrella to create new objects taking advantage of the main proprieties. I have sewed this pair of swimming shorts using the waterproof fabric of just one umbrella. the result is a light, funny, coloured and quickly drying shorts.