Got an idea for a project? Don't have the cash to get all the supplies. Here is a great resource I have found to be useful for getting just about any project material you need for free. This resorce is called Freecycle.
What is Freecycle?
The Freecycle Network" is made up of 4,610 groups with 5,839,000 members across the globe. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills. Each local group is moderated by a local volunteer (them's good people). Membership is free.
Step 1: Put Away Your Wallet
Here is a list of what you will need:
- An idea
- A Computer
- Just a little patience
Step 2: Got Your Idea? Here Is Where the Computer Comes In
2. Once you have reached the Yahoo! website, click on the "Free mail: Sign up" link (see picture below for location).
3. Go through the steps here and create yourself a free yahoo mail account.(''do this even if you already have one as your primary email)
- Why, you ask...
- Well, the reason I suggest this step is due to the nature of Freecycle. Freecycle is a network of online-groups, these groups are set up in Yahoo!Groups, and in order to be a member of a group, you need a Yahoo! account.
Step 3: Now That You Have Your Yahoo! Account, Time to Set Yourself Up With the Resource of Freecycle!
2. This website brings up a search box (see picture below).
3. In this search box, you are going to enter the city in which you live, and then click GO.
- What this does, is it searches based upon your city and finds local freecycle groups in or near your home town.
Step 4: Join a Freecycle Group or Groups
After clicking GO, you get a page like the one below which lists Freecycle groups near you.
- Click on a link for one in which you would like to join.
*I will demonstrate this by joining the Bingham County Group.
Clicking on the group's link pulls up a page like this one shown below.
This page gives a little description about the group and gives a link to the Group's Freecycle Page.
Click on the link
*In the photo, I have highlighted the link for the Bingham County Freecycle page in yellow in order to show you what to look for.
The first thing you will want to do in order to search what this Group has to offer, or more importantly to make any requests, is join this group.
- Click the "Join this Group!" button
- Then Sign into Yahoo! groups with your new Yahoo! email address.
- You are now taken to a page which walks you through the steps on how you will receive information from this group.
Step 7: You Are Now a Member of a Group!
You are now a member of a Freecycle group. This will prove to be a great resource to you. You can now visit this groups site and see what people are giving away. It's kind of like a free Classifieds, but better.
If no one is offering what you are looking for, don't worry, create an request.
NOTE:request not demand if you phrase it like a demand, people are less likely to want to help you.
I have recieved many things for projects by doing this, My best grab was 7 bicycles, from one house.
Once you find something you like, send out a reply to the offer you want to recieve.
If you make a request, all other members of the group will recieve notification of what you are looking for, and soon replies will be rolling into your new Yahoo! mail account.
Once you recieve a reply which you would like to recieve, make arrangements with the sender over email on when and where to pick up the item, sometimes they will even bring it to you.
I hope this resource proves helpful to you. Have fun finding the stuff you need, and enjoy the community of Freecycle.
*Oh..., also, you can join as many freecycle groups that you want, so if you cant fill any request in one, join another, or create your own if one doesn't exist in your area.