Intro: Fish Feeder Using Arduino Nano, Servo Motor and Waste Materials
It is a simple project by using a single servo motor and few basic materials.
It helps to feed the fish timely.
Step 1: Materials for the Project
- Perfume or Deodorant cap (Any plastic bottle also work)
- Refill of gel pen or pen it self (Any long cylindrical plastic )
- SG90 9g Mini Micro Digital Servo Motor. (link)
- Arduino Nano V3.0 compatible Mini USB Development board ATmega328P & CH340 (link)
- Screw driver set (link)
- Drill machine (Good if you have , without it also it is fine).
- Adhesive (feviquick adhesive : get it from any general store)
- Long 2 inch Screw.
Step 2: Fitting Servo to the Cap
- Create a hole with 4mm drill bit in the plastic cap.
- If you don't have a driller , then first create a small hole using star screw set bit.
- Then change the screw bits size and increase the hole till you get desired size.
- Make sure the servo gear head can go into the cap.
Step 3: Use the Refill for Rolling
- Use the gel pen refill.
- Put it inside the hole and find the other point in the cap and mark it.
- In my case my gel pen tip side after inverting to other side, it loosely fit to the refill.
- So I made a small whole which fit properly for tip head in the cap.
Step 4: Attach the Refill With the Servo Gear
- Using adhesive attach it to the refill.
- Attach the long screw to the servo motor and bring it up-to it touch the cap.
- Mark the point and create a small whole there.
- It will help to screw the motor and make it fix there.
Step 5: Food Falling Mechanics
- Create a hole in the refill.
- Make the hole as per the fish food size. (in my case it is for 2 pills)
- Now put it and mark the point in the cap and make a whole.
- Make sure the whole you made in the refill should be properly center with the hole.
Step 6: Coding the Arduino
- Follow this link if you are new to Arduino (link)
- Go to the File → Example → Servo → Sweep.
- Now test your machine.
- Make sure with a 180 degree rotation both the holes (cap and refill) should meet once.
- Check if food pill are getting out from the hole or not, else make change in hole size and check till food pill start falling.
Step 7: Creating Timer and Feeding the Fish Timely.
- Check how many food pill are coming out of it with every 180 degree rotation.
- And how many food pill you required.
- You can increase it by making more holes or else making more rotation.
- Attached file contains the delay logic.
- By changing the "delayInHr" , you can increase or decrease the the time delay in hrs.
- By changing the "rotation" , you can increase or decrease the the rotation of the servo.