Say hello to our Halloween papercraft for 2019: the Mummybot!
• ENTER THE INSTRUCTABLES #MUMMYBOT I MADE IT CHALLENGE •
When you post a photo of your Mummybot papercraft (here on this Instructable as an "I Made It", or on Twitter, or Instagram), we’ll send you an Instructables giveaway pack!
Additionally, Instructables staff will feature the best recreations of this papercraft project on our Twitter and Instagram Stories (and tag you, of course).
Here's how to participate:
- Create your (ultra-cute) Instructables Mummybot by following the detailed instructions in this project.
- Set the scene and create a Halloween background for your Mummybot to hang out in.
- Post a photo of your Mummybot in all of his glory to Instagram and/or Twitter, tagging @instructables and #Mummybot. **You’ll have to follow us on each platform so we can DM you.**
- Alternatively, post your creation as an "I Made It" at the bottom of this project.
- We must receive submissions and iterations of this project by November 4, 2019 (11:59pm Pacific Time) to be eligible for this offering.
What you'll need:
- Printed Papercraft (You can download the PDF on the next step.)
- Xacto knife
- Cutting mat
- Butter knife (Optional - for scoring the fold lines.)
- Glue (Optional. This papercraft assembles with no adhesives, but you can add a little glue to make it sturdier!)
- Cardstock: Use for a stronger more robust Mummybot. I'm using 65 lb/176 gsm cardstock.
- Regular printer/copy paper: regular printer/copy paper is 100% ok to use, but will require a little bit more patience and care when assembling your Mummybot so that you don't accidentally squash or rip him.
1 Teacher Note
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Print + Cut Out the Mummybot
Attached to this step are two PDF patterns: one Mummybot in color, and one Mummybot in black and white.
Choose the one you'd like and print out the Mummybot pattern at 100%.
Once it's printed, cut along the outer edge of all of the papercraft pieces.
Step 2: Special Cuts
Once you have cut along the outer edge of all your pieces there are a couple special cuts you need to make:
- Leg tabs: Cut along the black line that runs into the leg.
- Slots: Cut along the inner slot lines with an Xacto knife on a cutting mat. These slot lines are indicated by a thin black line with two dashes on either end. Be careful not to go past the lines when cutting. These line length are well suited for receiving their recipient tabs during assembly. (If you do overshoot them and are having trouble keeping your tabs in the slot - you can use some glue to hold it all together)
Assembly Tips and Tricks:
- Pre-gouging your slots: After you cut your slots, they may be a little tight. I found that by pushing my Xacto knife through the slot, it made it easier to push the tab through it.
- Using your Xacto knife as a guide: If you are having trouble getting you tab into a slot, this can be made easier by putting the Xacto knife into the slot first and then slipping the tab in behind it. Remove the blade and voila your tab is in place!
Step 3: Bonus Credit: Scoring the Papercraft
I've been making lots of papercrafts in the last year. One of the most important things I've learned is that scoring your fold lines makes assembling them so much easier. :)
I use the smooth side of a butter knife to score them. Place a ruler down parallel to the fold line and use it as a guide for the scoring. Don't press TOO hard with the butter knife or you may rip the paper.
Step 4: Assembling the Legs
First, roll your leg piece into a tube. Slide the tab into the slot using an angled approach.
Straighten out the leg until the top and bottom looks flush and the tab sits snugly into the slot. Repeat for second leg!
Step 5: Assembling the Head
Fold along the lines and slip the two tabs at the back of the head into their respective slots.
Step 6: Assembling the Arms
Fold the arms in half where the fingertips meet.
There are two arm types to choose from for your Mummybot. Two are classic and one has a bit of the mummy-wrapping coming off. Choose whichever you like!
Step 7: Pre-folding the Torso
Fold along the lines. Fit the front tabs into the sides, then the top tabs. Tuck the back edges inside the torso and insert the last tab on the top of the torso. Doing this here will make assembly much easier. :)
Now that we've done all our folding and cutting, it's time to assemble the Mummybot!
Step 8: Attaching the Arms
Slot the tabs of each arm into the two angled slots on the side of the torso. Push the tabs through so the arms lie flat.
You can tape or glue the tabs on the inside of the Mummybot if you'd like.
Step 9: Attaching the Head and Legs
- Slot the tabs of the head into the two slots located on the top of the torso.
- Push through and make sure they are nice and secure.
- Slot the tabs of the leg piece into the two slots located on the bottom of the torso.
- Push through and make sure they are nice and secure.
- Repeat on for other leg.
If you're worried about the head and legs staying on, feel free to tape or glue down the flaps on the inside of the Mummybot. :D
Step 10: Finish Up Making the Torso
Slip the two tabs on each side of the torso into their respective slots.
Fold up the back of the torso, and slip the final tab into the neck slot located on the top back of the torso piece.
The torso can be easily re-opened so feel free to fill it with candy, LEDs, or even a vibrating motor!
Step 11: All Done!
58 People Made This Project!
Samuelpas made it!
avivfriedman100 made it!
RebeccaB111 made it!
fudgi made it!
omegasupreem made it!
mais21 made it!
jetwashnc made it!
chienline made it!
Quatervwa made it!
NikkiO13 made it!
prof-minaudo made it!
Bmonzon made it!
PamelaC1 made it!
msjbud made it!
Kevin Le Brun made it!
rachl009 made it!
alleshochladen made it!
NISHANT CHANDNA made it!
aardvark electronics made it!
Origami_Maniac88 made it!
The Project Cave made it!
ChristopherHansford made it!
garrettwebb made it!
OliviaRiechmann made it!
lukekeerees made it!
njreyn made it!
RichFarwell made it!
TylerWood made it!
LucasR144 made it!
Disasterific made it!
Aaaecm made it!
cainunable made it!
Kozmicblues69 made it!
GuidoMonstrey made it!
ShainaS2 made it!
Ever-E-Thing made it!
-MorePower- made it!
Fireclaw made it!
skamp915 made it!
Knex Boy12 made it!
helloperson4 made it!
caitlinsdad made it!
Cheesey125 made it!
Io_Shirai made it!
mim_Armand made it!
1alembic made it!
Hyperballoon11 made it!
tkmauney made it!
jcarter55 made it!
jemuel sands made it!
purplepupper made it!
Not_Tasha made it!
mrbailey1 made it!
tittiamo68 made it!
Jakab046 made it!
sngick made it!
TatianaO2 made it!
Fenyx82 made it!
See 49 More