Introduction: Galaxy Themed Cupcakes
Who doesn't love a pretty and delicious cupcake? I know that I definitely do! These cupcakes are awesome especially if you are like me and more on the nerdy side (I have made them for Star Wars, Dr. Who, Star Trek, and some other sci-fi things that I have had at home). I actually found this recipe online while I was browsing for something different to bake.
These can be a bit more complicated to someone who is new to baking. Although some adjustments can be made to the batter (like making a white or chocolate) cupcake and the frosting can be made into one color with added decorations for those who are new to baking.
Step 1: Preheat
Alright, so like any time you plan on using your oven, first preheat it 350 degrees.
Step 2: Prepare Cupcake Pan
Okay so while you wait on the oven to preheat (which can take a while) . I used tinfoil liners for mine because I thought tinfoil would add an nice effect due to the space-theme of my cupcakes. You can use paper liners if you like.
Step 3: Cupcake Ingredients
Now to make cupcakes you need the ingredients right? Of course you do! So, here is that list of ingredients:
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 2 Sticks Butter (at room temperature)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tablespoon Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Royal
- Blue Gel Food Coloring
- 2 ½ cups cake flour
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Tablespoon Vinegar
Okay, so make a note here, that in the picture I attached there is red food coloring, that is just because I was out of blue. This is a blue velvet cupcake thus the blue food coloring.
Step 4: Time for Mixing!!!!!!
Okay, so now it's time for the mixing!
- In a mixing bowl or in a standard mixer cream the sugar and butter together until they it appears that they are light and fluffy.
- Add one egg and mix well.
- Add the last egg and mix well.
- Add the vanilla, cocoa, and food coloring. Keep mixing until they are all well combined.
- Shift the flour and salt together. Add it to the creamed mixture alternately.
- Combine the baking soda and vinegar, then add it to the mixture.
*Note: Keep in mind that the batter will appear darker after making it.
Step 5: Pour the Batter and Bake!!!!!!
Pour the batter into the cupcake liners. To make this easier and a tad less messy, I used an ice cream scoop*. This helped me watch how much I poured into each.
By now your oven should be preheated so pop those cupcakes in there and bake for 25-30 minutes.
*This is optional, you do not need to use this technique.
Step 6: Frosting Ingredients and Extras!
Okay, now for any good cupcakes you need frosting and nothing changes for these awesome ones! I have included the items that are needed just for the frosting and some extras to decorate with!
- 1 8oz Package Cream Cheese, Softened
- ½ Stick Unsalted Butter, Softened
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 Frosting or Zip Lock Bags
- 1 mm Wilson Swirl Tip
- 1 Pack of Food Coloring***
**These are the OPTIONAL DECORATIONS and where they can be purchased.
- Edible Stars (can be purchased online here , Michael's, or other crafts stores)
- Fondant Sheets (can be purchased online here , Michael's or other craft stores)
- Silver Pearl Dust (can be purchased online here , or at Micheal's or other craft stores)
- Sugar Pearls (can be purchased online here , or at Michael's or other craft stores)
- Lavender Sugar Sparkles (can be purchased here, or at Michael's, other craft stores, or some grocery stores)
***Colors that you will need will include blue and red to make the different shades of blue and to make purple.
Step 7: MIX the Frosting!
Now with all those ingredients you have to mix them to get that delicious frosting!
- Whip the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla extract until they are well combined.
- Mix in the powdered sugar.
- Separate the newly made frosting into three separate bowls.
- Add food coloring into each bowl. One dark blue, one a medium purple, and one a dark blue.
- Scoop each frosting into a piping or zip lock bags. So they are side by side in a triangle formation. NOT ON TOP OF EACH OTHER.
- Cut a triangle at the tip of each bag and attach a Wilson 1 mm swirl top to each bag. As shown in the photo*.
- Swirl the frosting on to the cupcake in a clockwise motion making sure all the colors come out.
**These color of the frosting varies in the photo to help show how to attach the wilson 1 mm swirl tip.
Step 8: ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!
You have now have delicious galaxy themed cupcakes, now sit down and enjoy!
Ashley412 made it!