To check what firmware you have go to : Settings > General > About
*This is for iOS 5 devices, check out my iOS 6 tutorial
*If anything (unlikely) is to happen to your device in the process, I am not liable. I Have jail broken over 20 devices and have not hit a problem (with iOS 5)
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Tools
You will need the following:
Windows or Mac Computer
Step 2: Instructions
Plug your device into the computer
1. Once device is recognized, open up absinthe.
2. If it says your iPod is connected, click jailbreak.
3. Once Cydia is installed, eject your iDevice and open up Cydia.
4. Cydia will say it needs to update packages and will close when done (let it happen)
5. Once it finishes process you are good to go!
* If you have attempted to jailbreak before (and failed) absinthe will fix
*For iOS 5 devices only, see my page for iOS 6 devices.
Step 3: Terminology
Tethered - when device is rebooted, jailbreak is idle.
Untethered - when device is rebooted, jailbreak is still active
A4 device - single core processor (Applies to ipod 2g, 3g, 4g)
A5 device - newest processor
SHSH Blobs - your own custom device info