Intro: How to Interface With 5kg Balance Module or Load Cell
This tutorial is gonna teach you some basics on using 5kg balance module or load cell.
Step 1: Introduction
This 5kg balance module is a weight sensor module which can be used to measure the weight of object. It comes with HX711 ADC tiny controller board which eases the communication between the load cell and microcontroller. It is quite easy to use since it is capable of interfacing with Arduino. The maximum weight it can measure is 5kg. And also, it comes with a standard weight load which is used in calibration.
- Voltage: 5VDC
- Diameter: 10cm
- Height: 3.5cm
- Max. Load: 5kg
Step 2: Pin Definition of HX711 ADC Module
Specifications of HX711 ADC Module:
- Differential Input Voltage: ±40mV (Full-scale differential input voltage is ±40mV)
- Data Accuracy: 24 bit (24 bit analog-to-digital converter chip)
- Refresh Frequency: 10/80 Hz
- Operating Voltage: 2.7V to 5VDC
- Operating Current: <10mA
Step 3: Sample Hardware Installation
The above hardware installation is just for reference. You can connect the components according to your pin assignments in your Arduino source code.
Step 4: Sample Source Code
In the attachment section, there are altogether three files being uploaded.
File Name: HX711.zip
- Kindly download the library attached below for your own use.
File Name: calibration.zip
- In order to get the accurate reading, you will have to know the calibration factor. Firstly, setup your scale and start the sketch without a weight on the scale. Once readings are displayed, place the weight on the scale. Press 'a' or 'z' to adjust the calibration factor until the output readings match the known weight. 'a' is to increase the calibration factor whereas 'z' is to decrease the calibration factor.
- A video is uploaded to show the steps of calibrating the calibration factor.
File Name: single_hx711.zip
- After the calibration is done, upload the file named single_hx711 into your Arduino. Now, your load cell is able to measure the weight.
Step 5: Ways to Open Serial Monitor
Step 6: Result
Place anything onto the load cell and Now you are ready to measure anything. Remember do not place anything that exceeds a weight of 5kg.
Step 7: Additional Sample Source Code
Here in this part, an additional sample source code is attached. This sample source is applicable when more HX711 ADC module is connected to one Arduino board.