I made this homemade wine gift box out of palletwood, It is a very simple design but I think it looks really good and
is very easy to make! Follow along as I show you how I made it!
I made a video of the project for my channel BCDesign If you like this Instructable please subscribe and share!
Tools and Materials you will need:
- 10mm wood drill bit
- Stencil of your choosing
- Brad nailer or hammer
- Fire lighter
- One pallet
- 2ft of rope
- Milk paint or acrylic paint
- Spray lacquer
- Wood glue
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Break Down Your Pallet
There are many ways to break down a pallet.
I used my reciprocating saw as I needed to make this project quickly.
Usually I try to save as much of the wood as possible by taking the pallet apart by removing the nails.
The palletwood boards I was using were roughly 3.5" wide x 3/4" thick
I used an empty bottle of wine to work out the measurements which are as follows:
2x Sides x 12" long
1x Bottom x 8.5"
4x Front & Rear x 10" long
I then used my mitresaw to cut the pieces to size.
Step 2: Sand the Parts, Glue & Brad Nail the Box Together
- I sanded all the parts I just cut with some 120 grit sandpaper, just enough to remove the very rough texture.
- I glued and nailed the 2 side pieces to the bottom of the box
- Make sure the sides are square before bradnailing them.
- I then flipped the box onto its back added the 2 front pieces then turned it over and added the 2 rear pieces.
- Leave a gap in the front and back of the box so the wine label is visible.
Step 3: Make 2 Handles & Drill Holes for the Rope
- I cut 2x 4"x1" pieces of Palletwood
- using a 1/2" drill bit, I made a hole for the rope to run through in both handles.
- I then drilled 2 holes in the top front and rear of the box for anchor points for the handles.
- I used some 1/2" nylon rope I had found while out for a walk.
- Thread the rope through the handles and then through the holes in the box.
- Put your wine bottles in the box and make sure the rope handles are long enough to comfortably carry the box without hitting your fingers on the tops of the bottles.
- When the handles are adjusted to length knot the rope inside the box and melt it with the firelighter to prevent the rope from coming loose.
Step 4: Paint the Box & Add Stenciling
- My girlfriend then painted the box with a lime green milk paint.
- We bought a floral style stencil and used this to add some detail and color to the sides and front of the box.
- I choose the colors to match the labels on the bottles of wine we were presenting in the gift box.
- When stenciling be sure not to overload the brush with milk paint as it may run under the stencil and cause it to look blotchy.
- When the milk paint was dry I brought the gift box outside and used some water based spray lacquer to finish and seal the milk paint.
Step 5: Finished!!!
Your gift box is now finished and ready to present to someone with their favorite bottles of wine inside!!
This project is really simple and would make a very nice homemade Christmas Gift!
Please check out my build video and if you like it please subscribe and share it! Thank You!