Intro: How to Control Sawdust on a Shopsmith Lathe
I have a Shopsmith and like to turn wood but I do not like the mess. Seems like every time I would turn something I would spend lots of time cleaning saw dust off of everything behind and under the Shopsmith. I recently got a TechShop membership and it helped spark some creativity. With the ability to use the Shopbot at Techshop I was inspired to come up with this design. Turns out it works great. I made it at TechShop. www.TechShop.ws
2 ea 1/2 in x 24in x 32in Birch plywood
1 ea 5' X 5' Canvas
10 ft of adhesive back Velcro
3/4 in X 5.5 in X 16 in piece of hardwood for clamps
1 ea 4in vacuum attachment
I measured the Shopsmith to see how to mount the sides. I then created a CAD file and exported it to a .DXF. This I then brought into V-Carve and created the tool paths for cutting out the sides.
Then using the Shopbot I cut out the sides.
Step 1: Step 2 Test Fit
I installed the two wings and they looked great. I realized I would need to make a clamp to hold them in place. So back to techshop to cut out some clamps.
Step 2: Clamps
I quickly drew these up and cut out on the shopbot. I drilled a few holes in the ends and added some threaded nuts and bolts to clamp together. I installed these as shown in the pictures.
Step 3: Cut Out Canvas
I then measure for the canvas and cut to size. I sewed adhesive Velcro to the sides of the canvas and also created a cutout for the vacuum fitting. I used rivets and some thin plastic to help keep the canvas captured.
Step 4: Velcro Sides
I then added the opposite Velcro to the sides. I used adhesive Velcro and reinforced with staples.
Step 5: Installing the Canvas
I then installed the canvas.
Step 6: Testing Out
I then tested it out. I connected it to my shop vac and did some turning. It work like a charm. Cleanup was quick and easy. All I needed to do is brush the sawdust towards the vacuum fitting and I was done the cleanup. I added some pictures to show that there was no sawdust on the floor or on the tools on my tool holder in front of the lathe. Normally I would spend 20min to clean up after turning. I am very happy with this addition to my tool.