So you are debating whether to pay someone or DIY remove your wood stove. You should give this a go only if:
1) There are at least 2 people available
2) All involved are healthy enough to do heavy lifting
Otherwise pay someone to avoid any possible injury.
You will need the following:
* Screw Driver
* Furniture Dolly
* Working gloves
* ladder (and access to the roof where the chimney is located)
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Remove Outside-chimney: Top
The first thing that comes off is the chimney:
* Climb on to the roof where the chimney is located.
* Using a screw driver, unscrew the top portion of the chimney, put the Chimney top aside.
Step 2: Remove Outside-chimney: Bottom
Now the bottom portion of the chimney needs to be removed:
* Using a hammer, pry underneath the shingles.
* Remove the nails holding down the chimney base.
* Remove the skirt (if any) over the bottom of the chimney. The skirt is used to keep the chimney snug in the hole with the chimney base.
* Remove the bottom portion of chimney.
Step 3: Remove Nails Holding Inside-chimney
In this step you will:
* remove the nails, which are holding the inside-chimney with the ceiling.
Step 4: Remove Inside-chimney
Now we move back inside the house.
* Using a mallot or a small piece of wood with a hammer, hit on the inside-chimney to free it up from its connected bottom portion.
* take out the inside-chimney's top portion off from the ceiling.
* remove the bottom portion of the inside-chimney.
* now you are left with the free standing wood stove, free from any connected chimney.
Step 5: Wood Stove: Lift Up
The last step is where heavy lifting is required. Try to remove as many parts of the stove as possible, e.g. the door of the stove, which can be close to 40-50 lbs.
* Be sure to use proper care while Lifting Heavy Objects.
* Use a Furniture Dolly to move the wood stove out of the room.
Now the wood stove is gone, the last pictures show that the carpet was patched and a new sofa sits where the wood stove used to be.