Intro: Illuminated Arrow Pen
Want to make something unique and fun? Are you an archer with a few broken arrows laying around; unsure of what to do with them? Maybe you're just someone who wants to complete an easy project with a really unique and cool payoff at the end?
THIS PROJECT IS FOR YOU!
Illuminated Arrow Pens make amazing gifts, and aren't that expensive or complicated to make.
Let's get started!
Step 1: Materials Needed
- Arrow shaft. I recommend aluminum for durability and feel. I use Easton Gamegetter XX75. Carbon will also work just fine. (With veins) (With feathers).
- LED arrow nock. I use Nockturnal. Lots of manufacturers available. (Many colors available)
- Nock & Vane Adhesive. I use Arizone Archery Fastset Gel. (Found here)
- Dremel Tool with Sanding + All-purpose Cutting attachment
- BIC Ball Pens. (What I use)
- General purpose table vice. Not necessary, but pretty handy.
Step 2: Prepare the Shaft
- Put on your eye protection. SAFETY FIRST BABY! :)
- Take your arrow shaft, and cut it down to the desired pen size. I personally prefer the arrow pens to be a little larger, so I cut them to about 9 - 10 inches (show above). Use your Dremel tool with the all purpose cutting attachment (or metal cutting attachment if you have it). It helps to hold the shaft down with your vice at this point.
- Once cut, the tip will likely be uneven (like the picture). Use your sanding attachment to make it as even as possible.
Step 3: Insert the Tip
- Take your Bic Pen, and remove the tip + refill shaft.
- Line the upper part of the plastic on the pen tip (where my index finger is touching in the photo) with adhesive. DO NOT touch with your fingers at this point.
- Take some pliers, and insert the tip + refill shaft into the arrow shaft, making sure it is all the way in. If done correctly, you will only see the tip of the protruding from the shaft.
- Wipe any extra adhesive off the shaft or tip with a warm damp cloth or sponge.
Step 4: Insert the Nock
- Slather some adhesive evenly onto the insertion areas of your Illuminated Nock.
- Insert your LED nock into the other side of the shaft. Obviously you can use any nock, but illuminated/LED nocks make it just that much cooler. BECAUSE THEY GLOW YOU GUYS!
- If you have trouble getting the nock to fit inside the shaft, sand it down to size or add material such as wrap around the insertion part of the wrap to make it fit snug. This can be tricky, but I believe in you!
Wipe any extra adhesive off the shaft or nock with a warm damp cloth or sponge.
Step 5: Drying + YOU'RE DONE!
- Let the adhesive dry for an hour or so.
- Put the BIC pen cap over the tip. It should fit perfectly!
- You're done! These are excellent presents for family and co-workers - SO GIVE EM AWAY! Or you know...just keep em' for yourself :)