Introduction: Knife Dock
We wanted to store our knives inside our drawer but the commercially available Knife Dock tray was too large to fit our divided drawers, and we thought it would be fun to make our own. If your drawers aren't divided, you can make your own or use a kit (Container Store has them).
- 1 roll adhesive backed thin cork drawer liner (found at Container Store)
- 1 sheet of thin cork. (I found a 3/16" x 24" x 30" at OSH )
- Utility knife
- Metal ruler
- Scrap wood if needed
- Measure drawer height (H)
- Measure desired length for cork strips (L). I used 12" strips for long knives and 6" strips for shorter knives.
- Cut cork sheet into long strips as wide as the drawer height (H)
- Cut strips into desired lengths (L)
- Pack cut cork strips vertically into drawer sections and if needed add a scrap piece of wood to fill any gaps
- Insert knives in between cork strips
- If needed, add a piece of scrap wood in drawer to sit under the handles of wide-blade knives to help keep them level
Voila! Knives are prevented from scrapping against each other when the drawer moves!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.