Introduction: Laser Pointer Modification
Modifying a small laser pointer to accept larger batteries.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Modification
I had a key chain laser pointer that soon became my dogs favorite toy. (He loves to chase the red point around) Unfortunately the batteries would run out after a few hours of play. At $4.95 each the batteries are pretty pricey and the pointer needs 3. I decided to modify it, to use regular batteries instead of the expensive ones.
What you will need:
- laser pointer
- car cigarette lighter plug
- hose clamp
- 4 AA battery holder
- electrical tape
Step 2: Assembly
- solder a positive and negative wire to where the batteries fit in the laser pointer
- fit the wires through butt end of the cigarette lighter connector
- fit laser pointer into butt end of cigarette lighter connector (might have to use electrical tape to butt fit it properly (red tape in previous picture))
- the old batteries were 1.5v each, that means we need 3 AA batteries to have the same voltage
- attach clamp in the middle of laser and cigarette lighter connector
- attach battery holder to clamp
- attach wiring to battery holder
- insert batteries and test
After extensive testing, a set of batteries will last a year or more. It looks like a funky alien weapon but it makes great fun for my dog and koi fish.